Saturday, October 18, 2008

10/18/08

What a great day at the NC State Fair! :)


As you all know, we love the fair. I will say that this year was different because it was COLD! We haven't had weather like this in years. It didn't rain, but it was cloudy and quite breezy for most of the day. We went in search of coffee a few times. :) I also got my funnel cake and it was "stinkin" good. I'll have to get another one next week!!!

We had another "banner" year in the entries!!

Mikayla Girl won a BLUE RIBBON for her truffles!!!! I was SO PROUD of her! She also won THIRD place on her layer cake! That was the first time she had ever made a "from scratch" cake... let alone a three layered one with homemade icing!! She BEAMED all day. I was glad that she won something this year... especially since she loves to cook so much. Wesley didn't do as well this year (last year he won third place on his honey muffins). That was OK, though. I will say I was a bit shocked at how he was disappointed he didn't win. lol He is not the one who loves to cook so I figured it wouldn't matter to him. We'll try again next year. :)


The lady in charge of this area graciously allowed Mikayla to hold her winning truffles so I could take a picture of her.

Mikayla's layered cake was VERY hard to photograph because of how they positioned it in the display case. We had to check with the lady in charge of the area to make sure she really had won third place. It was really exciting!


I didn't place in my photograph.... as I figured. lol I honestly don't know what they look for when they view these photographs. The first place winner looked like a typical snapshot one would take of their kids viewing a pig at the fair. I just didn't get it. I saw others that you could tell they wanted the photograph to mean something and tried to create ART. The ones that won... well, I just don't know what the judges were wanting is all I know to say. lol

I also did not place in my foods. No surprise on the Macadamia Nut Brittle since it didn't do correctly, but... it surely did taste good to me. ha!!! My blueberry muffins didn't win, but Mikayla Girl surely did love them. She ate another one this morning. As long as I am a winner with her, then I have won a great amount. :)

My scrapbook pages... well, I won FIRST place on BOTH again this year! I was a bit shocked because I just didn't think it would happen again. I was thrilled and floated around the fair the rest of the night. :) (these pictures are horrible, but couldn't get any closer...) Can you pick us out?????



Kevin also won quite a bit. He won 7 ribbons, I believe! I'll let him share about that on his blog so as not to steal his thunder. I was really proud of him, too. :)

We had a long day at the fair, but it was such a fun day of memories. I'll share more pictures of our fun later but it is late and I need to get to bed in order to function at church tomorrow. :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

So I guess I din't win anything either... As I was handing in my image I overheard the women telling another person that, "The judges like you to write a story on the other side of the image, if it has any meaning." Jeez you think they could have mentioned it? I sure would have liked to put, "this flag was brought from CA to Washington DC, by runners who were running one mile for every American killed in the War."
O well, going tomorrow, and we can discuss the "winners" :)
Glad you had a good time, and awesome job on the other ribbons!

Sal Cartusciello said...

Ribbon, ribbons everywhere in all the Fowler households. Big round of applause to you, Kevin and Mikayla.

All of this fair activity by you will mean I will have to go to the fair when we return.

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

Awesome, you all did GREAT! And I'm so happy to see what you entered too! Enjoy that funnel cake, sounds so yummy to me! :)

Amy said...

Congrats to you all!! I am so proud!

Our fair is the same way with the photography part. We didn't go to the fair this year so I am not sure what won this time around but in the past I just didn't understand their thinking ::shaking head::

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo! Love all those ribbons!! Come by to see me!!!