Sunday, August 17, 2008

08/17/08

I have never shown these eggplant blooms so I thought I'd do so today... as well as the "fruit" they bear. These are from my parent's/brother's garden. Enjoy!




Did you see Michael Phelps win his eighth gold medal last night? WOW... that guy is awesome. God gave that man great ability. I was amazed.



This morning Mikayla found one of the moths that had "escaped" from their butterfly netting a week or so ago. (They have one of those carrying case type things where you can watch the caterpillars turn into butterflies/moths.) This one escaped inside the house and he didn't last very long. Mikayla found him dead this morning and it broke her heart. She asked me if the moth went anywhere after it died. We have talked about this before with regards to animals that they do not have a soul, therefore they do not go to "Heaven" because they are not created in the image of God. But, I did tell her that the moth did not die without God knowing all about it. I talked to her about Matthew 10:29-31 which states: Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing (a copper coin)? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows. I shared with her that if God knows when a sparrow (or a moth!) falls to the ground, how much more does He love us who are made in His image?!!

I also began sharing with her that we all were made by God to praise Him. This was something "new" to her and so a new learning moment began. I began to think of and tell her what Revelation 4:11 says: Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. We had a mini sermon of why we are here even before we went to church! I am so thankful for those small teachable moments we can have in our children's lives to continue to point to our great Creator and Sustainer. Many people today live with the thought that they control their own destiny, are their own "boss", but they fail to see that God is the One Who made them who they are. Without God we are nothing! That is humbling to think that God, in all His glory and power, knows all about me and created me for His glory.

5 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

I like eggplant..... And the pictures were nice too. :-)

OK, this "lesson" keeps on hitting me in the head, everytime I turn around. I'm getting "it", and getting better. Even my wife would say so. Not perfect, but better.

Glad you were able to have the lesson with Mikayla, so she learns it much earleir than me. :-)

Shiroi Kuma said...

The quote thief is back; this time I borrowed the poem from your principal to share with two friend/teachers. I started my teaching career at a private Catholic school - for years I missed having my vocation blessed at the beginning of the school year.
My Episcopalian/former Methodist Mother and Grandmother pounded the lessons of "gifts" from God and "service" to God. Must be I passed those on because my son was just ordained as a Priest in the Episcopal Church - he is married to a young lady who also was ordained at the end of last May.

Barbara said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Nice to "meet" you. Eggplant is a favourite aroud here. My mom-in-law grows them but I've never noticed the flowers. Thanks for sharing those photos. I'm feeling eggplant parmasean coming tonight for supper! You've inspired me :-)

See you again!

Amy said...

AWESOME egglant shots, the 'hairs' are so precise! That white one is so pretty, I've never seen a white egglant.

Anika asked me just the other day about animals going to Heaven. She was sad to hear that they wouldn't be joining her soomeday, but was glad to know that God knows them as they are now. :)

Amy said...

LOVE the eggplant pictures!!