Saturday, March 28, 2009

03/28/09

Bradford Pear blossoms...


This morning we had the AWANA Olympics at our church. Wesley and Mikayla participated in the Sparks Olympics where basically they just run around and do some games and everyone wins. This was their last year in Sparks. I am finding this year to be a tough one for me in their "growing up" times. Next year they will be in the groups that compete to win. Wesley cracked us all up running in the races. He is quite fast and he made lots of people laugh because his jeans are beginning to show he has grown... he had on white socks and his brown tennis shoes. Just picture it and I am sure you will chuckle. Mikayla did a great job with participating and "jumping in" when needed. I was amazed at how much they have changed.

You'll have to pardon me... I think I'll be having more of these bittersweet moments in the near future.

This afternoon we worked on rough drafts of our Zoo Project reports! I sat down with each of them and helped them understand the material and asked them to put into their own words what should be written. I cannot sit back and let them do it "on their own" for the reason that they mostly would just put down words and wouldn't really LEARN. I have seen too many reports over the years that show no parent help and the kids have no clue as to what they have written. Now... with regards to parent help it can also go the other way where the parent does all of the work for them and they STILL do not know what they have written! I didn't do that! I made sure they read the material with me and I would ask them if they knew what certain words meant. If they didn't, it became a learning moment. Then, they had to put into their own words what they had learned about their animal.

I'm all for teaching responsibility and independence in children. However, I find that some parents want a "hands off" approach to helping when their kids are still so young. Wesley and Mikayla have never done a one page report before. For me to sit there and say "It's not my project and I'm not helping you at all." would be a cause for disaster. If they don't understand what they have read and are writing, how is learning occurring?

I must say that even though it was taxing at moments (moreso with Wes....), I thoroughly enjoyed watching them learn about these animals and getting their minds to think. I had wanted to get outside early and take some more photographs before the rain began again, but the rough drafts took a bit longer. I will be the first to admit I was a bit bummed, but that is what is expected out of me as their mother. I have to view these moments as learning experiences for me, too. It is learning how to help them understand something better and grow. Of course, I also think children are given projects at school to help the parents re-learn (or learn!) information they have forgotten from long ago. lol You wouldn't believe what I have learned about Grant's Zebra and a Barking Tree Frog!

We now have to do the habitat in the shoebox and they will have to write their final copy of their report, but that will not be today. They have both done well. Of course, I gave them no choice. hee hee... A good attitude at anything is so much better. That is something I was teaching them today, too. These things have to be done, so do them with a smile.... :)

2 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Especially as a home school mom, writing is one of the biggest struggles. So often, i
just want it done, but the balance between hands on/hands off is so important.
Beautiful pictures, as usual.

Amy said...

I agree about the kids understanding what they're doing, I am always working with the girls to make sure they comprehend the material. And totally know what you mean about remembering things long forgotten...that happens to me on a daily basis! Although, sometimes I wonder if I ever even learned some of this stuff! :)

Beautiful photo of the blossom.