Wednesday, March 11, 2009

03/11/09


We had a meeting after school today that was one of two to "open the teacher's/parent's eyes" to drug/alcohol abuse in teens. Oh my... it is scary to think of what kids can do these days.

The thing that kept coming at me when I was sitting there listening to all of the things that kids can use now to get high or get "drunk" was:

Proverbs 22:6 - Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Something that the lady kept saying today was that parents are the greatest influence over their children. I wholeheartedly agree with that statement.

Someone once made the comment to our Administrator that their kids go to church, are in AWANA and go to a Christian school so they should be "safe."

That is so wrong for this reason:

I Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour.

Home is where thoughts and habits begin and if we are not setting the right example at home our kids are going to have a confused sense of what is truth and what isn't.

They are going to think: "Mom or Dad said this, but they DO this..."

We must be "sober" and "vigilant" in showing our children we not only talk the talk, but we walk the walk.

Ephesians 4 is what I have been meditating on many nights lately before I go to bed. As I went there just now to type out one of the verses, the Lord brought me to Ephesians 5:15... which I found is a great verse for us as parents as we raise our children to the glory of the Lord:

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, (NASB)

Our actions speak louder than words.

2 comments:

Katie said...

hey girlfriend! Long time since we talked....where have you been? Oh right, school! :) Lovin' your pictures! I updated my blog the other day for the first time in forever, so see what you think... things through a former students eyes. hahahhahah :)

Amy said...

I couldn't agree more, love everything you wrote. :)