Monday, March 23, 2009

03/23/09

Crocus... so pretty to me. These are at my best friend's house and I was finally able to capture them the other day. Click on the photo to see the detail in the pistil/stamen area.


Last night as I was reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Narnia series) to Wesley and Mikayla I began to catch a glimpse of something in the chapter that I knew the kiddos didn't grasp but it caused me to think. I am not quite sure if I am able to put into words the exact meaning I have been "chewing" on today, but here goes:

A little background: Lucy and Edmond are back in Narnia now and on the boat the Dawn Treader with Caspian and a few other characters from Prince Caspian. They are in search of the "Lords" that were sent away when Caspian's Dad lost his kingdom. They had already visited several islands... all of which have symbolism to them, but when you are reading it sometimes it doesn't click. Last night's "island" did for me.

Caspian, Lucy, Edmond and the rest of the crew visited a "darkness" that they couldn't understand and could find no land. At first, many of them did not want to go any farther to see if there was a "Lord" in the area, but Reepicheep (the brave little mouse) told them they were royalty and needed to go on. As they were getting into the darkness it began to envelope them and they couldn't see a thing in front of them even with lights aglow. They began to hear a voice and were able to rescue someone, whom they found out later was "Lord Rhoop." It seems that this darkness was the "Islands where Dreams come true." This "Lord Rhoop" was in a terrible shape and could hardly speak but he did tell them to get away as fast as they could when he explained that dreams come true in this area.

Most of the people on board became excited to know that dreams came to life. Unfortunately, they found out it was not necessarily as they thought because "Lord Rhoop" shared with them that their dreams truly came true... dreams that you wake up from and are glad they are just dreams. This made the people on the boat realize this wasn't what they wanted and they began to row with all of their might to get out. They soon found out, however, that all of their rowing got them nowhere because they were no closer to the light than when they began.

Lucy was on a high area of the boat and began to get despondent at their situation. She saw darkness all around and after hearing "Lord Rhoop" yell that they would never get out she began to silently panic. At that moment, she called out to Aslan saying "Aslan, Aslan, if you ever loved us at all, send help now." She began to feel a little better at that time, but it was still dark. Then... they began to see a light... looked like a cross at first, then an airplane, then a kite and then they realized it was wings they were seeing... the wings of an albatross. "It circled three times round the mast and then perched for an instant on the crest of the gilded dragon at the prow. It called out in a strong sweet voice what seemed to be words though no one understood them. After that it spread its wings, rose, and began to fly slowly ahead, bearing a little to starboard. No one except Lucy knew that as it circled the mast it had whispered to her, "Courage, dear heart," and the voice, she felt sure, was Aslan's, and with the voice a delicious smell breathed in her face. ... In a few moments the darkness turned into a grayness ahead, and then, almost before they dared to begin hoping, they had shot out into the sunlight and were in the warm, blue world again. And all at once everybody realized that there was nothing to be afraid of and never had been."

As I read all of this, I began to think of how many times I have "dreamed" of something and wished that it would come true. A lot of times what I think is wonderful is not exactly what the Lord has planned. "Lord Rhoop" had dreamed wonderful things, but in reality his dream was a nightmare from which he couldn't escape until he got help from Caspian and the others. In trying to save Lord Rhoop, Caspian's people began to realize they were being "sucked in" to the darkness, too, and there was nothing to save them from being overtaken. Then, Lucy calls out to Aslan... the picture of Christ in these books. He comes, he saves them, he takes away the fear and brings them to the light.

During those times when we are in "trouble" because of choices we have made or "dreams" we have followed, do we try to get out of it on our own, do we reach out to others who are just as "lost" in the "dream" as we are...

or are we reaching out to the Savior
?

He alone can take away the darkness, fear, doubts and bring us back to where we need to be... His will.

Once we call out to Him, He is always there just as was pictured in the book with Aslan for Lucy. Christ is there saying to us "Courage, dear heart."

My words do not seem to be flowing with this as easily as I had hoped. I have thought on this a lot today and I found it something difficult to fully put into words. I do hope you have been able to get a glimpse into what I had learned from reading something for my children, but the Lord used it to speak to me instead!

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

3 comments:

Rebecca Bentley Hall said...

This is perfect. I love the story, I love the truth of it, and I love that my most precious Earthly treasure sits with you five days a week. You are a blessing, a God-send. Thank you for pondering this in your heart today and sharing so graciously with those who call you "friend."

Amy said...

Amazing detail! And I think you did a great job of putting what you did into words. Made sense to me, I'm so happy you shared. :)

Katrina said...

His blessings always amaze me!

Always better to be in a trial and be in the will of God than to be living the ways of the world and be out of God's will.

I hope you are enjoying the beginning of spring. All of your flower photos are beautiful.