Sunday, January 25, 2009

01/25/09

These first images are from the snow obviously. I took them while walking around at my Mom's the other day. The first one with the cardinal is an excitement to me because of the contrast of red and white with the cardinal. The other bird is a sparrow, I believe, but I am sure Kevin will instruct me in the correct name. Click on the photo to see more detail.


This second one has a female cardinal peeking at me.

These other pics are for Kevin because he requested them today. lol I took these last Wednesday when Steve drove me to a park to photograph more snow. I was so excited to get UP CLOSE to this Great Blue Heron. (I was also using my telephoto lens...) I would have gotten even closer if my son hadn't decided to chase the Canada Geese. These birds are around the lake at Regency Park and are easy to photograph because they are used to loud noises and people. I was pretty tickled with my captures.






Yesterday a legend around our area, and in the nation with sports, passed away: Kay Yow, North Carolina State's Women's Basketball Coach. She had coached for 38 years. She was a role model for young girls who wanted to play basketball, to her teams she coached, and for millions of people battling cancer as she battled breast cancer for over 20 years in the public eye.

I am not very involved in sporting events, as you all know, but I always had a great respect for Kay Yow as I have gotten older and learned more about her through my Dad and Steve or what I have read/seen on the TV. It saddened me that this strong woman was now gone. What was exciting is that she knew Jesus Christ as her Savior and is in Heaven with Him right now.

She left behind a legacy. She was a woman so many people admired in all walks of life. Everyone who knew her loved her for what she stood as well as being a person who was always willing to give back to others. She wasn't thinking of self.

As I read the newspaper article about her life today it struck me on how well what I had heard at church today went with what I was reading.

The guest pastor that spoke in church today said for us to think about what people would say about us as we got older. He used the illustration of how he was a huge soccer player in college and that now when he sees people from "way back" 30 years ago, the first thing they say to him is something to the effect of "You were great at soccer!" Today that is not what excites him... that is not what he is glad people remember about him.

He said he now challenges his students at the college where he teaches/preaches to not have something so temporal be what people remember about you. Do people remember you for what you have done for the Lord? Do they remember you for the person you were, not always what you were good at doing?

That caused me to think on my life. I realize I am a Christian school teacher. I know that daily I impact little lives but am I always showing forth what the Lord would want? I am human and I know I will make mistakes and learn from them, but I want to be remembered for something more than "She was my second grade teacher."

I have often thought of what it would be like at my funeral if I were to die before the Lord returns. (I am not wishing for that funeral anytime soon, though!) I wonder who would come and what would be said. I wonder how people would react when they heard of my death.

One of my favorite Sunday School teachers of all time used to say: You have a day you were born and a day you die on your tombstone. That dash in the middle is your life. How are you using it for the Lord? What will people say about that "dash?"'

Take a moment today and reflect on your life. I am still "chewing" on it myself.

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that first shot is just awesome! I also think the red/white contrast is pretty amazing! All of the photos are fab, great work! :)

Unknown said...

Your Heron shots are awesome!

Sal Cartusciello said...

I'm going to respectfully disagree with your ending thoughts. Just because someone calls you a great 2nd grade teacher does not mean they did not see you doing The Lord's work, or get to know Jesus because of you, etc.

To me, you are "doing for the Lord" by your teaching, and how you teach, and with that, the person you are. It is all in "one package".

Morgan said...

wow...your pictures are beautiful. Never realized how much I missed Cardinals til we moved back to NC and I saw my first one. I was so excited to see my first bluebird in my new backyard, so the first thing I did was go by 2 bluebird boxes to encourage them to stay around! ; )

Kevin said...

WOW! What gorgeous shots of a Great Blue Heron!! I think they are worthy of a cover shot! :-) Seriously, I think they are great and your Northern Cardinal shot isn't bad either. But then again, I'm just your brother. I'm supposed to say those things!