Monday, December 01, 2008

12/01/08

I know I showed this last year... and may just show it every year. (I also realize I have readers now that weren't reading at this time last year!!) This porcelain Mary and baby Jesus was my grandmother's and is beautiful to me. I usually have it on the foyer table but with two kittens this year, I didn't want to chance it. I chose to "re-do" my mantle, which for me is shocking because you know how I do with change...., and put both porcelain keepsakes up there. (The other one will be shown later.) I actually love it a lot like that. It puts the emphasis of Christmas where it should be... on Christ.



Here is a cutie from Wesley the other day:

"Mom, you know how I like to clean and stuff? I know God is watching me and when I get to heaven, do you think He'll want me to clean up around there?"

I told him I didn't think there would be any need to clean in heaven, but that was a great thought he had. :)

Today we went to Walmart and the kids bought their "Joy Toys" for the kids that are underprivileged so their parents can get Christmas presents for them. They earned their ten dollars each and it wasn't just given to them, so to speak. I made them work hard for just a $1.00 but I wanted them to learn the value of that dollar.... and that money doesn't come easy. I realize this didn't fully sink in, but it is a start. I asked them how it felt to buy something for someone else with money they had worked hard for and they actually said it felt good. That is what I like to hear.... thinking of others more than ourselves.

Back to reality tonight with grading papers. Need to go do some homework with the kids, too. :)

ADDED LATER:

This was something Kevin called me about tonight when he was on the way home from work. I noticed the moon and planets around it earlier this evening as I was coming home from school/ Walmart, but didn't realize the significance behind them.

Since I am not well-knowing in this area, I copied and pasted what the Thoene blog had to say about this wonderful observance in our sky tonight!! (Their words are in dark green and red.) The Thoene's are wonderful Christian fiction authors and some of their recent books have dealt with the Wise Men and the stars they saw the year before Jesus was born... and during the actual time He was born. When I read the books it made so much sense as to why the star over Bethlehem was so bright... it was more than likely a combination of stars together to make one large light. All of these stars were given names and they were in relation to the Messiah. I wish I knew more about this to share in depth, but just know their books are awesome and I recommend anyone reading them. (The series is the A. D. Chronicles)

If you have the opportunity tonight, go out and see this beautiful part of God's Creation. I don't think you will see it much after today or tomorrow... and it will not happen again for a LONG time.

My pictures aren't that great because I don't have a high powered lens for this, but I was tickled with the results. (I must say it was COLD out there!) :)

Here is the exerpt from Brock and Bodie Thoene's blog and my pictures:

WHAT WISE MEN SEE—DECEMBER 1, 2008 by Bodie and Brock Thoene
Tonight at sunset remember to look up to the southwest. Last night we were privileged to see the moon, Jupiter and Venus even before sunset (did you know you can do that if you know where to look?) Tonight will be even easier, since once you spot the crescent moon, the two planets will be very near by. (Venus and Jupiter will be just to the right of the moon)







This was one of the last I took and had my shutter open a long time (tripod, of course) but I loved how you could see the whole outline of the moon.

Tonight, as you view the astounding conjunction of the Holy Spirit moon with the Splendor of the Lord’s Righteousness (Venus and Jupiter) keep in mind what the believing centurion said to Jesus: “And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come here,’ and he comes…” Then remind yourself that Jesus is Lord of Creation. It is He who set all the stars and planets in motion, making each ‘go’ and ‘come’ as He wills. From the dawn of creation He foresaw tonight’s sky, and you out watching it! Can you trust Him to deal with every issue, problem and nagging doubt in your life? “Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word….and I shall be healed!”

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is a beautiful porcelain piece, so special in more than one way!

We've been enjoying seeing Jupiter and Venus near in the sky for a while, but when we saw the configuration this evening we knew it was something special! Thanks for sharing the information. :)