Monday, August 01, 2011

08/01/11

Have you ever been with people who never know when to hush?

They can be people who are really meaning well, but instead are going further and further into explanations as to why *they think* you are having a certain problem or whatever it is they are talking about with you.

I have dealt with those types of people before.... and after doing my Bible study today I realized I used to be that way myself!

In the last few years the Lord has been teaching me to be quiet. 

That doesn't mean I am not going to help people if they ask... it just means I am going to have KELLIE be quiet and let the LORD do the talking.

I used to say what I *thought* God's Word would say... Kellie's way.

Especially in the last couple of years, and with what the Lord has taught me, I have learned to ask the Lord to give me what HE wants me to say. 

There is a big difference there, you know.

In my Bible study today I was reading some of the passage where Job's friend Elihu was full of all kinds of *wisdom* as to why Job was in the shape he was in.  Here is what God said:

Job 38:1-2
Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,
"Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?"

God then goes on to tell Job to stop listening to Elihu and start talking to HIM!

Here is another verse I read that went along with it today:

Ecclesiastes 5:2
Do not be hasty  in word or impulsive in thought to bring up a matter in the presence of God.  For God is in heaven and you are on the earth; therefore let your words be few.

Kind of puts things into perspective, huh?  I am this little bitty speck of a person in God's universe and I think I alone have what it takes to help someone out?

We may think we have the best advice for someone.

Maybe we should stop before we speak, pray and let the Lord speak what HE wants through us.

We don't know it all like we think we do.

We have to learn to be quiet.

Then God can use us.

"The primary reason we are sometimes at a loss for words is that we should be at a loss for words.  We're in over our heads and silence is our best option."  ~ Beth Moore

2 comments:

Sharen said...

Should probably just be quiet....but I loved this!!! Lord, please set a guard over my lips :D

Katrina said...

So timely Kellie. Our lesson last night came from James 3, learning to harness the tongue! We also looked at Proverbs 18:21, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."

My Pastor is a funny guy and likes to use little sayings to sum things up. He quoted this well known saying, "It is better to appear foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Thanks for sharing your lesson :) I always enjoy your posts!