Wednesday, August 24, 2011

08/24/11

Wow.

I cannot believe how crazy busy I have been the last three weeks.

I got in bed last night and realized just how much I am missing my moments of quiet thinking time with the Lord.

I am doing my daily devotions.

But, I miss learning deeply. 

I miss pouring over the Scriptures.

Life has just gotten too busy.

The Lord had something waiting for me last night in my devotions.

I needed it.

I thought I would share with you.

The depth of your spiritual life is up to you.  If you don't have time to read the Word and pray, it's not your spouse's fault, not your children's fault, not your boss's fault.  It's your responsibility.  It is up to you to keep from being so busy that you don't have time to worship God personally.  Your spiritual life will flourish if you talk to God meaningfully in prayer.

After reading the words of Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892), I knew that God wanted my prayers to be genuine and heartfelt, not rushed and mechanical.

If prayer is a coming before the throne of God, it ought to always be conducted with the deepest sincerity and in the spirit that makes everything real.... If anywhere you dare repeat holy words without heart, let it not be in Jehovah's palace.  If I am called upon to pray in public, I must not dare use words that are intended to please the ears of my fellow-worshipers, but I must realize that I am speaking to God Himself and that I have business to transact with the great Lord.  And, in my private prayer, if I rise from my bed in the morning and bow my knee and repeat certain words, or if I go through the same regular form when I retire to rest at night, I.... sin.... unless my very soul speaks unto the Most High.  Do you think that the King of heaven is delighted to hear you pronounce words with a frivolous tongue and thoughtless mind?  You know Him not. 

The summary of all our remarks is just this:  prayer is no trifle.  It is an eminent and elevated act.  It is a high and wondrous privilege.... Let us not forget that it is no light thing to be a courtier in the courts of heaven and earth, to worship Him who made us and sustains us in being.  (Spurgeon, Charles. The Power in Prayer.  New Kensington, PA:  Whitaker House, n.d.)

~Dwell Devotional

2 comments:

joyfuljan said...

Thanks for sharing this! I needed to hear this as well! Hugs, Jan

Blue Cotton Memory said...

Nobody's fault but my own - so true. And to pray real, heart-to-heart with the Father - it so makes a difference in my day,changes everything. What an encouraging reminder to schedule that time in and be real about it! Have a blessed week:)