Friday, August 12, 2011

08/12/11

Interesting critters.... these caterpillars.  Not sure what kind they are, but they really enjoyed spending close, quality time together.
I read this in my devotions the other night and wanted to share the entire devotion.  It made me think of those in our military, but also our lives in general.

Psalm 18:1-2
I will love thee, O Lord, my strength.
The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.

I know we've all had bad days, and some have been worse than others.  How have you felt during those times when life throws all that it can at you?

God still wants us to trust Him even in those horrible, dreadful days.  I received this email from my friend, Deanna Hoover.  {Kellie's insert here: This is just part of it... the entire week discusses the different parts of the email.}  She had experienced more than her share of heartache in one day.  She prefaced her email with her firm belief in Christ and said she felt led by the Holy Spirit to tell her story.

My day started early yesterday with my daily phone call with my very best friend, Kathy to discuss a book that we're reading to increase our passion for Christ.  About five minutes into our conversation the phone call dropped.  I didn't think much of it because it's happened in the past.  I briefly thought she may have been in a car accident, but then I though, no, maybe it was just her phone battery.  I quickly called her and left her a voicemail message.

She called an hour later to tell me she was in a car accident and had to be cut out of the car and taken to the hospital.  She later called me to say that she went to see the car and was amazed - it was truly a miracle that she survived, let alone come out uninjured!  This was truly the protection of Jesus Christ who kept her safe.  I thanked God that she was unharmed; I thanked Him for protecting her and keeping her safe.

Our sovereign God protected Kathy; He "preserved" her.  This reminds me of Psalm 16:1, "Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust."  The Lord kept Kathy safe.  Think of all the people who praised God for her safety - her husband, children, friends.

I pictured the Lord covering her "with his feathers," and hiding her "under his wings" as it states in Psalm 91:4.  Maybe you have a son or daughter in the military and they need the Lord's protection.  You may have a loved one that is far from home and needs to be kept safe.  Pray for them and thank God that He is their sun (provision) and shield (protection) (Psalm 84:11-12).

1 comment:

Dana said...

My husband's best friend was serving in Iraq and one day while we were doing school I was filled with an overwhelming urge to pray. We stopped school and with tears streaming down my face we prayed for him. Found out a couple of days later an explosive detonated right next to him! He has some hearing loss, but is otherwise okay. This past 4th of July we had a BBQ with them and his dad thanked me for praying for his son that day. Still gives me goosebumps! =)