Saturday, August 06, 2011

08/06/11


I made two batches of pear jam and one batch of strawberry/pineapple jam today.  I am on a roll with these jams.... 

Since I have been busy with that most of the late morning/afternoon, let's take a look back at mine and Steve's anniversary trip once again.

You know we went to Grandfather Mountain.  Well.. we actually stayed in Boone and just drove around all over the place.

On the Sunday of the weekend we were there we went to Hebron Colony Falls.  Not a lot of people know where to find these falls, but apparently SOMEONE knows and tells people because when we left there were a ton of cars.  A lot of Appalachian State University students like to go there and lay out in the sun and have picnics.

Being the novice hikers that we are... we didn't bring water bottles with us.  We left them in the truck because you KNOW they would be refreshing for us there.  

More like hot and burn your throat kind of water.

BUT... I did have my camera and camera bag.  Priorities people.  

Here is Sweet Man when we arrived there.  We didn't realize the adventure that awaited.

 Here I am looking all cool and collected not realizing I wore the wrong clothing.  I did alright, but let's just say... they needed washing in a big way when the day was done.
 Here is Steve looking up the falls.. and wondering how on earth those people got there.  We soon found out when some college kids came and began "swinging" through the trees heading up the side of the rocks.  Steve said if they could do it, we could do it...  

He forgot that we are twenty + years older than they are...

We made it up the side of the rocks by swinging on a few trees... and stepping ever so carefully so as not to fall where one shouldn't.  We weren't in it for the race.

 As we walked up the rocks, we were blessed by these waterfalls all along the way.  Hebron Falls is not like Linville Falls that I showed pictures of last week... but we enjoyed it even more because you could be right there walking around the rocks and falls.



 I'm still lookin' pretty good at this point.

 At the top.  This just doesn't do it justice.  You really have to experience it to understand the beauty of it all.
 Some cute little purple wildflowers growing between the rocks.  You know how I love me some purple and green.
 This is where the water for the falls comes from... and I have no idea what river this may be.
 Another view from the top as we were coming back down.
 To prove we were both there at the same time.

Steve just had to stick his feet in the water.  He couldn't get over how cold the water was... his feet didn't stay in there long.  I am thinking we would have enjoyed that water on these 100 degree days we have been having!
 
 
We are at the point where you can see farther down the rocks/falls.  We would have loved to have stayed there all day but we had other things to do.  When we left there were tons of people coming in so it was actually good we left when we did.
 

Best of all... when we got back to the truck... that hot water was waiting for us.

And, yes.. I drank it.

4 comments:

Ramblings of a Southern Girl ~ Rhonda G said...

Hi Kellie, I was reminded by your post that I need to check with my mom to see if her pears are ready!!! :) Love them in jam and stewed with cinnamon!

Happy Belated Anniversary! Looks like ya'll had a wonderful adventure!!! The pictures are beautiful!

Katrina said...

What a fun adventure in a beautiful place. Happy Anniversary to you both!!!!

Mich said...

Funny.

Beautiful pictures. What a fun little adventure to remember and smile about.

wendy said...

See, North Carolina has pretty places to see too. No need for you to be jealous of me all the time! ha.