Thursday, August 04, 2011

08/04/11

Aren't these tomatoes the cutest things?  They are about the size of a gumball.  They voluntarily started growing in our yard!  We enjoyed them last night with supper and they were so sweet and yummy.
Wesley is making more strawberry/peach jam today and I am doing another batch of jalapeno jelly. 

Here is a thought today from a book I am reading by Gary Chapman - Love is a Verb:

"....the Bible tells us, "Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise"  (Philippians 4:8).

What valuable advice for all of us in all areas of life - but especially in relationships!  The old saying "Familiarity breeds contempt" tends to be true.  Whenever we live with or spend many hours with someone else, before long we start seeing the faults in that person's life.  If we let them, little faults tend to become magnified and may soon be the crack in the mortar of our relationships.

... One way to overcome the contempt of familiarity is to put the faults into perspective - to compare the severity of the negative elements in a loved one's life with the positive attributes that person displays.  

And then the trick is to close our eyes to irritating factors - consciously ignore, or even burn the list - and only focus on the positive.

As we consciously look only at the good things, before long that's all we see."

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Yep...I have been thinking on this very thing. Looking for what I can point out that is good!Thanks for sharing

wendy said...

This reminded me of a plaque my grandma has had hanging in her kitchen for as long as I can remember. It says, "Love is an action verb." Oh, and I think my eyes were watering when I saw all the jalepenos cut up and ready to go!