Saturday, April 24, 2010

04/24/10

The entrance to Boone Hall Plantation. Could you imagine riding up in a carriage or on horseback underneath the canopy of trees? It was just breathtaking!

If you ever saw the series "North and South" in the 1980's with Patrick Swayze this is where the Maine plantation was filmed. I loved that mini series growing up since it took place during Civil War times.

The only problem with the memory..... it was proven FALSE when I came to the house. lol

I thought this was the original 1860's house. I thought they built all plantation homes like this...

Not so much.

This house was actually built in the 1930's by the people who bought the plantation from the original family owners. This is not a true colonial style home because the sides are not symmetrical. See that the left has three windows and the right has two?

The original house was actually a saltbox type house that looked similar to some that are near my own now. It was no grandiose mansion as we would think. Kinda burst my bubble. lol
However, I can learn to move past it all and see it for what it is today. It is a beautiful place and I recommend anyone to go if they are in Charleston. Boone Hall Plantation is one of the only plantations still operating after all of these years. Most plantations have gone by the wayside or have been replaced with modern areas. Boone Hall still grows crops and has festivities in the spring and fall for people to attend.

So, if you need to find me..... I'll be in my fancy gown with a hoop, fanning myself and waiting for my "soldier to come back from the war." (Said with my most lady-like southern drawl)

What a beautiful drive....

1 comment:

Mich said...

beautiful pictures...

Hope you are having a beautiful weekend!