Thursday, April 08, 2010

04/08/10

More scenes from Charleston. I'll be done eventually, people.... just a little longer. :)



So....

What do you do when your son (insert Wesley here) has a fascination with a bird house that was built for him last Thanksgiving when his class at school did a "Thanksliving" project?

See, there are supposed to be bluebirds building a wonderful nest in there getting ready to have babies.

Not so for this bird house.

It seems a Carolina Chickadee has invaded the territory.

I am all about Carolina Chickadees. As long as a sparrow is not trying to invade, because they are just rude, I am fine with that.

What I am finding I am NOT fine about is said little son (insert Wesley again) thinking it is a good idea to try and capture said Chickadee.

He has done this a couple of times already. Not that I am counting.

Along comes yesterday and that all changed.

Son (again, insert Wesley) decided to capture said bird again. Poor thing... I know it is traumatized by now.

Then, he decides to bring it into the house in the butterfly house that has honestly never been used for butterflies, but more for the lovely creatures besides those.... tree frogs, frogs, toads, lizards, etc....

He takes it to his room and I am not aware of this act because I am working on pictures in the office. His lovely sister (insert Mikayla) decides it would be neat to open up the top part just a little more to see the bird.

The Carolina Chickadee decides at that moment to escape.

In the house.

Flying around making my cats crazy.

Coming into the office scaring me half to death.

Two children come running after this bird hearing me say "WHAT IN THE WORLD IS THAT!?" They are scared beyond measure at that moment because they knew this was not what was supposed to happen and they are now in "BIG TROUBLE."

Now, I could have reacted very quickly with anger. Instead, I tried to remain calm and let said son know quickly that he caused this mess and it was his responsibility to get that bird out of the house.

(However, I have learned through the years to understand this son's desire for the things of nature and am trying not to let anything surprise me.)

By now the bird keeps flying around the office. At least it was contained in there.

My only concern?

Please do NOT poop on any of our stuff!

After a few minutes of chasing the bird around the room to no avail, I told my darling son that we would just open the window, push out the screen and hopefully the little guy will fly to its freedom because I knew it was scared to death!

As I opened the blinds this poor creature thought his escape was there and flew right into the glass of the window.

That scared me again.

It caused our cat Isabelle to go after it with a vengeance.

After getting the cat out of the room, my loving son began to get his net ready and he was finally able to capture the little guy and take him to his freedom.

While holding it, the chickadee began to peck at my loving son's hand. I think he was trying to let him know not to do that again.

I can't begin to describe the humor I could actually see in all of this as I sat watching those two children of mine run around the office after this bird. It was something out of Tom Sawyer or Huck Finn....

I can remember those moments as a kid. I sure made a mess of things a time or two... or three, or four, etc....

All I can say is that moment turned into a memory that will keep me chuckling for a long time.

4 comments:

B. said...

I LOVE Charleston! Such a nice, clean city. ALOT of southern charm

Kevin said...

Well, I must say that I would have loved to have seen all the action at the Maison de Fowler! I hope the chickadee lives to tell it's children of it's harrowing experience at the hands of a small, inquisitive boy. I must talk to him about his responsibility!! hahahahaha

Lynne said...

Well, I am still laughing about the poor bird incident! I felt like I was in the office as I was reading the story. This will be a memory that you will cherish forever. Thank you for sharing it with us! :)

Amy said...

Oh my!!! lol