Wednesday, April 21, 2010

04/21/10

The Citadel in Charleston.... went there as a sixth grader.

I was on Safety Patrol that year and we had a year end trip to Charleston. (I was serious about my Safety Patrol duty. For years after that my family would jokingly tell me to get out at intersections to do my "duty." I loved directing traffic. Maybe I should have worked for the DOT????)
Included in that trip was a visit to the Citadel.

I had glasses... BIG brown glasses with my initials on the side. Oh, if you could have seen me then you would have wanted to be JUST LIKE ME.
At that time of my life I had super straight hair and had lived in a bowl cut for all of my born days.

Not so, in sixth grade.
I had gotten my first perm the summer before sixth grade so by the end I was really wearing it well. I was sporting a beautiful "fro" of my own at that time... with my big brown glasses with the initials on the side that blocked my peripheral vision.

I know you are wishing I had posted a picture of that, but for now you will have to live that dream in your head. If you want to see an actual photo, come see me for real and I'd be glad to show you one in the scrapbook that has ALL of my "younger years" wrapped up in one happy place. So happy that you laugh hysterically. (At least, that is what my students do every year when I show them.)

Truly, the only things I remember about Charleston from that sixth grade trip was the fact that Charleston does not have any real hills (King Street is about as high as you go for elevation) and the Citadel because we got to watch them do drills and such in the middle of the campus. I took pictures but they were horrible because I used my Kodak 110 camera and had no clue as to what I was doing.

There is one picture of me standing with my cousin beside a huge tank. I looked like a geek.

So... here are some pictures I took when my best friend and I went to visit. I definitely remember more about it this trip than I did over 25 years ago. There are no pictures of me standing like a geek in front of a tank. I know you hate that.


The chapel

I just love the buildings there... they look like a castle.

Wheel from a submarine that was important in rescuing people in World War II, I believe. I am not remembering all of the facts on this one.

The monument and periscope to the submarine.

Huge helicopter.... see the bullet marks on the windows?


A monument to those who have worked hard competing in drills and such at the Citadel. It dates back to the 1800's.

3 comments:

Mich said...

The first part of this post had me rolling. :)

I too had the initial glasses.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I must see that scrapbook sometime. I can hardly wait to see that bowl cut and the glasses, Hee-Hee

wendy said...

At least you're brave enough to put all your pictures in a scrapbook. I had big glasses, but I must've missed out on the day they started adding initials. I'm so jealous.