Tuesday, April 13, 2010

04/13/10

I am talking about golf (of all things today) and this is the only picture I could find. I had all of these creative ones I did a few years ago, but I must not have kept them on the computer. For now, you can see Wesley around 4/5 years old enjoying his golf club.


This post is strictly my opinion and I am not here to argue any point. :)


This past weekend I watched some of the Masters Golf Tournament with Steve. I have learned over the years to watch a lot of different sports because, well... Steve loves a lot of them!

Steve loves, loves, loves the Masters and looks forward to it every year.

This year I knew it would be interesting with the "return" of Tiger Woods.

Steve and I have never been a huge fan of Tiger Woods. We've always thought he was arrogant and we never appreciate his language that he speaks on the course when things don't go his way. He IS good at the game he plays but, in my opinion, attitude goes a much longer way than how you played physically.

I know he made a mess of his life which was revealed to all last November, but I am all for second chances when someone truly has a desire to change and make things right.

I have been given second chances many times in my life when I have made mistakes. His life will never be what it once was, but it was/is my desire for him that he learn from those mistakes and change for the good.

His "story" was all that was on the sports news this past week. Tiger had a bazillion interviews and everyone speculated how he would play. Some people thought he did a brilliant job in his interviews while others weren't as trusting.

I saw him in video snippets at the beginning of the tournament walking up to the crowd and smiling while touching a child's hand. Steve shared with me that he signed autographs, which he has not willingly done in the past.

I wondered.... was that just for show or has he really changed?

On Sunday after the tournament we watched his interview. After watching him and seeing how he acted Steve and I felt he was still arrogant stating that he came to win and he didn't win so therefore he did not do a great job. I am all for giving your all and doing your best, but there was just something about how he talked and acted that didn't seem any different than before.

His demeanor during the interview we watched was not one of a humble spirit saying that after having so much in his life that he came back and did his best. He just kept stating that HE didn't do what HE wanted so it was NOT good. Steve even talked about that last night because he heard a sports commentator on the radio yesterday speaking of the interview. Steve said he thought it was interesting that he acted as if he was THAT good that he could not have played competitive golf for over 100 days and still be able to come in, sweep the tournament, and win. The commentator on the radio yesterday even said as he watched Tiger through the week he turned right back into the same attitude that he had before.

Hmmmm.....

I watched interviews with other golfers on Sunday that didn't play as well but they were humble in their responses. They were rightly disappointed but it wasn't anything like Tiger's response.

I truly hope Tiger gets his life right, but he can't do that through his own efforts. Only the Lord can change a heart.....

We are all known by our doings. None of us are perfect. We all make mistakes and need second chances.

The question is.... When we do make a mistake, do we learn from it and grow or do we choose to act like we've changed for a while but soon settle back into our old ways?

Time will tell for Tiger.

3 comments:

Vonda said...

I hope Tiger turns his life around too, but it is apparent that there hasn't been a great change yet. So happy that a man that has stood by his wife during a difficult year got some joy this weekend by putting on that famous green coat! Way to go Phil!

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that the best " man" won the Masters.I think maybe God has already started to teach Tiger a lesson. W
e watched it too. Love!!

Ps: loved the picture of cutie pie!

Sandy said...

Well said!