Monday, April 12, 2010

04/12/10

Spring break is officially over and it was back to school today. ::::sigh::::

I surely did love my break and the ability to just be a "Mom."

Most of you who know me (or who have read my blog for a while) know that I am more of an inside person and am not the greatest at yard stuff.

Well, this past week I even shocked myself.

Steve began working on the yard doing various things since the week was so nice. He told Wesley and Mikayla one evening that the next day he wanted them to pick up the limbs he had trimmed.

We have almost 3 acres.... and a lot of bushes.... which meant a lot of limbs.

Well, the Lord began to whisper in my ear that I needed to get out there with my children, not only to show them I am willing to get out and work on the yard, too, but also to allow that to be some time we spend together.

"OK, Lord.... I'll help."

There was a part of me that was tickled to do so... and a part of me that went "OH NO."

The doctor told me in February that my Vitamin D was low so I figured this was a great opportunity to capture some Vitamin D from the sun!

It was a good thing I helped because with my help it took us almost 3 hours of constant picking up and toting off limbs to the "burn pile."

I raked while the kids picked up piles and used the wheelbarrows. It was interesting as I raked because I could feel the blisters forming on my hands even with gloves on... not so fun. However, it was all to help Steve and help the kids learn more responsibility so it wasn't something to complain about!

The next day Wesley even took it upon himself to pick up more pieces that Steve had cut the night before. It was the sweetest thing to look out the window and see him dragging that wheelbarrow around the yard without anyone saying for him to do it.

On Saturday we had another yard day and I volunteered to mow the whole yard.

As the words were coming out I thought "Am I really saying that??"

The yard can be very overwhelming so if I can help Steve by cutting the grass I was happy to do so. Once I got the hang of the lawnmower again and stopped having "Granny Driver" moments I was zipping this way and that giving our yard the fresh haircut it so desperately needed.

My family was in shock.

Mom and Dad even came down the day we were picking up the limbs and I was raking to "take a picture" of me doing yard work. They asked if I was their daughter. Kevin even had to sit down when he heard the news.

Funny, people. Real funny.

Steve helps me so much with various things so I wanted to be a blessing to him, too.

Is there hope for this inside girl to become more of an outside girl?

Maybe so. :)

2 comments:

Mich said...

You are so cute!
This made me smile.

I am afraid I can't do much yard work because of the allergies. I envy your day.

Anonymous said...

Why, Sure you can! I bet you and the kids did a great job. I know Steve was proud of you all. I sure would have loved to seen that tho!!
Hee-Hee