Tuesday, May 12, 2009

05/12/09

I heard an honest to goodness owl last night. Steve kept telling me I was hearing a dog, but I know it wasn't. It was saying "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you?" Now, I realize my loving brother will correct me if I am wrong, but that is an owl... I just don't know which one. So... in honor of the owl last night, I am posting one from the Zoo today!


Today at Walmart I became a bit agitated. Not in a bad way but deep inside where you are smiling and trying to act like everything is just fine, but you really want to "pull out" your teacher voice and yell "WOULD YOU PLEASE READ THE SIGNS?"

Picture this:

The kids and I enter into Walmart using the ENTER doors only to have a guy with a cart about mow us over exiting through this same entrance. I just smiled to show we are understanding and gracious and want to have "mercy" with strangers while hurriedly moving Wesley beside me as Mikayla was already holding my hand. Wesley is our "cart driver" so he had to maneuver around the guy going out the wrong way.

Well, then we are exiting the store using the EXIT doors. There are people coming at us left and right. We walked into the "lobby" area where the drink machines and carts are kept and it was like a madhouse of people all going in and out the wrong doors! Wesley was so confused he didn't know how to cross over the area correctly to take the cart back to its proper place. I was never so glad to get out of an area!

HELLO, PEOPLE... CAN YOU NOT READ THE SIGNS? They are really simple: ENTER and EXIT. Is it really that difficult to follow directions?

Apparently so.

That is why I know it is my duty as a teacher to teach my students to follow directions. These are life lessons I am teaching them so that one day when they need to go to Walmart, they will know how to ENTER and EXIT in the correct way.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

I AM SOOOOOOOO PROUD!!!!!!!! You are indeed correct. I heard one the other night as well. And to top it off, it is the Barred Owl which is the one you photographed!!! HAHA. The ending of this owl's call is "ALL", but you may not have been able to hear it or he just didn't feel like saying it.

Shiroi Kuma said...

Try this: I pull into the school parking lot - there are lanes to drive in and out on the left and right of the parking areas. Straight across the parking area comes a police car straight at me as I turn to park - very scary and then even more upsetting when I realize it was a police car - what a poor example for our teenage drivers!
My plaintive plea is: "Is it June yet?"
Two days more, than only four days next week and week after. One more No Child Left Behind test and then just all the normal tests, projects, and final exams!
Weather is pretty perfect up here . .

Unknown said...

You made me laugh out loud. This is one of my "issues" with people. Just follow the rules and no one gets hurt. Drive the speed limit, walk/drive on the right side, no putting on lipstick while driving, 20 items or less means 20 is the MAX and doing 2 split orders does not count:-)