Sunday, May 10, 2009

05/10/09

Happy Mother's Day! What a wonderful day it has been.... It started out with receiving these beautiful flowers from Steve and some very sweet "creations" from Wesley and Mikayla. Their cards were the best, though. They actually wrote something special in them other than a "prepared" message and it meant so much!

Something I read in my devotions this morning was so interesting so I just had to share. It talked of "God's Mother Heart" and was thought provoking on this Mother's Day. This is the verse that went with it.

Matthew 23:37
How often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings."

Can you picture it? A mother hen gathering her babies to protect them. Isn't that what God does for us? He created male and female so of course there would be a "Mother's Heart" in Him even though we dominantly see the gender in the Bible as male! Here is the ending of that devotion today:

As we honor our earthly mothers this special day, may we also give thanks to the Creator who made the unique female nature that reflects the complete and pure love of God for His children (I John 4:19).

I loved that!

Today at church I was challenged to be a mother who is a godly example to not only my children, but to others as well. I take that very seriously since I teach but I know of others that are always watching. It was humbling to think of all those who could look to me for guidance.

Proverbs 31 came to my mind today, not only because of my devotion this morning, but as it does many people for Mother's Day. These verses continued to humble me to be all I can be for the Lord and my family.

First of all, and most importantly, how am I with my Lord:

Favour (charm) is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord, she shall be praised.

Secondly... how am I to be a wife to my sweet Steve:

Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

Lastly, how should Wesley and Mikayla see me:

She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.

I am to be a woman who loves the Lord with all of my heart. Once I do that, then I can be the wife and mother I am to be to honor and glorify Him. In reading this scripture today I found so many ways that I fall short. I am thankful for His mercy and forgiveness. I am thankful for His patience. He has blessed me in so many ways and for that I cannot praise Him enough!

No comments: