Thursday, February 26, 2009

02/26/09

Farm scene... I really like the B&W with this one. It reminds me of days gone by.


Today in our morning meeting at school the person sharing our devotion was telling us about the "lies" that Satan tries to put in our paths and many times we believe them. We raised one in particular since we are all women and that is on the topic of "TIME."

So much of our time as women is DOING things. Most days we feel like we are just spinning our wheels and many women feel they have to be "Super Woman" to be all to everyone who needs her. (I have felt this way a number of times.) When you wear many "hats" in a day you can begin believing the lie of "I can never get everything done."

Well, that is true, but the Lord has been showing me... and is continuing to help me on this topic, that I have to really stand back and see what is the most important to get done.

Those "to do lists" usually are not in themselves bad things but they can become a hindrance in getting what is most important done. These things can wear us down and make us tired and then we believe the lie of "I can never get everything done." We begin to compare ourselves to those around us and feel like a failure.

Let's think about that statement of "I can never get everything done." for a minute, though.

Do we ever REALLY get everything DONE?

I know when I clean on Fridays I feel a sigh of relief because it is "done" but the moment we begin something else, the house gets dirty again. A clean house is awesome... but it isn't always reality. I have had to learn that.


When I grade papers at night I feel so good when I can lay down that red pen and put the papers back in my bag for school because they are "done" but I have to do it all over again the next day!

Laundry is a never-ending battle.

Dishes to wash... they never end, either.


That list could go on and on! We have so much we can "DO" but if we don't take the time to allow the Lord to guide our steps our work is in vain.

I still struggle with the feeling of "guilt" when I don't get everything done. I feel guilty when I see Steve cooking supper trying to help me out because I should be doing that being the Wife/Mother. I feel guilty when I am working on one project and feel I should be working on another in the house. I feel guilty if I am having a moment to myself to "re-group" after being at work and I am not pouring over homework with Wesley and Mikayla.

That guilt I feel is another one of Satan's lies! I have had to learn that working full-time doesn't allow me the time to do some things that I would like, so therefore other things have to be set aside for another time.

My house may not be immaculate when someone walks in to see us.

All of my clothes may not be folded immediately from the dryer.

Clothes the kids have outgrown may still be in the den flopped all over the chair without being on hangers.

I may have to say "NO" to something someone wants me to do.

If we stretch ourselves too thin we are going to snap and not be able to be used of the Lord, be there for our families and friends, or take care of ourselves.

Here are some scriptures I looked up this afternoon to help me put perspective on my days. He is the One Who sees the whole picture while I only see part.

Psalm 16:8, 11
I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalm 28:7
The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.

Psalm 37:5
Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

It was kind of funny....today after morning devotions I had my "plans" for the day laid out and was ready to tackle some things while my kids were in Art. Well, the Lord had other plans for me! I needed to talk with a couple of people.... be there for them. It wasn't what I had planned, but it was what was more important at the time. The things I had planned had to wait for later. God's ways are best. God's timing is perfect.

If I release my time to the Lord, then the He will take care of the rest and I can stop the "lies." I cannot be everything for everybody. I cannot do it all... but I can do all the LORD wants me to do because it is He that gives me the strength!

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

I really like the b+w Kellie.

Your reflection is a good reminder for us all. I heard a message last year that stays with me almost daily. The idea is that the enemy uses us against ourselves quite effectively. The pastor said he asks the Lord to "Protect me from me today."

Hope you have a terrific Friday :)

Amy said...

Great post and a good reminder!!

Have a great weekend!!

Morgan said...

HA! This is something I'm working to correct, big time! thanks for the reminder....