Wednesday, February 04, 2009

02/04/09


"Yawnnnnnnnn".....

We had a two hour delay today because of "snow." Not anything here, but some places got a little so they wanted to be on the safe side. I got up at 5:00 am like always and, well, couldn't go to school until later. Well, I could have gone, but I would have been there for a mighty long time without kiddos. As it was we still went earlier than "two hour delay" time and I was able to accomplish some things I have needed, so that was good.

What did I do with some of my time before leaving home?

I sewed the edges of one of our 16 year old towels. Yes, people, that is right. When the towels started to fray on the edges from the use over the years I didn't throw out my well loved/used towels, I just began to sew the edges.

My Mom actually taught me this wonderful "trick." She used to do that to towels at home when I was growing up. At first, I didn't understand her reasoning. I figured.... why not just go buy more? Then, I became a wife/mother and realized the importance of a GOOD set of towels and that they "Just don't make 'em like they used to" and here I go following in my Mother's footsteps.

These are the towels that Steve and I use... not ones for a guest in case you ever come to stay the night. However, because the really good towels are either too expensive or just aren't that great of quality, I am keeping my old ones.

It has its moments of challenge with sewing the edges. I have given myself a bit of a "blister" on the tip of my finger from pushing the needle through in a repetitive fashion. I learned to put "medical tape" on the tip to help. Those thimbles just don't fit right on my "fat" middle finger. I also find I do not have a large block of time in which to sew ALL edges and get it done. Therefore, I am having to do it little bits at a time. Not so bad except I have this "thing" about keeping towels together on the rotation in the bathroom. Another one of my OCD things. I'm stepping away from the rotation for a time so that I can repair what I have loved for almost 16 years.

If you are lucky, I'll take a picture of the beauty of my sewing and show you all. We'll just have to see....

5 comments:

mc said...

Kellie,
I would really like to see the sewn towels- seriously. We had the two hour delay as well- and all teachers have to be there on time!!!

wendy said...

Funny that you would post about towels. I've been starting to replace ours because after only 4 1/2 years, they are starting to feel like they scratch more than they dry. And these were good towels from Kohl's. I had company last summer from out of state and I am seriously embarrassed that I didn't have new towels for them to use.

Anonymous said...

I would love to see your sewn towels too! I have started "trimming" the edges of our towels, but I will start sewing them. We have some that are 19 years old (a wedding gift)-they are hard to part with. :)

Amy said...

My favorite towels are the ones we received for our wedding 14 years ago! I just can't part with them because they work the best, but they sure don't look pretty! :)

Amy said...

Beautiful picture!!!

Yeah, I am with you I love my old towels. We use them until they fall apart. I am also glad to hear someone is as OCD about things as I am :-) :-)