Monday, February 09, 2009

02/09/09

More snow pics... they actually seem like a dream with the weather we have had this past weekend and today! It was up near 70 today and it was quite glorious. I have officially gotten the "spring fever" bug. I always try to be content in the season I am in, and I am, but these last couple of days make me realize why North Carolina is a wonderful state in which to live. :) (Remind me of that in those sweltering 90+ degree days in summer. lol)





I have been teaching some things in Bible and Science that have caused me to reflect a bit today. Bible for the verse I will share and Science for talking about our bodies and our "heart." You'll understand (hopefully!) as you keep reading.

Steve and I have been watching this show on Monday nights called "Real Beauty" (or something like that...) It started out as just wanting to see what it was all about in the first show and has turned into us watching it each week. It is about these "glamorous" people on the outside and how the hosts are secretly watching how they act "behind closed doors." They are trying to see if their outer beauty matches their inner beauty. The contestants think it is only a contest on the outside looks. They find out they are really tested on their inner beauty if they have been "kicked off" the show. Some have even been in denial when they have been kicked off... after seeing taped moments of their "ugliness."

I'll be the first to say that most of the contestants are too full of love for themselves for my taste anyway. I have found that only one person in the house seems to be truly "pretty." I don't say "beautiful" because she is still a bit consumed with herself for my taste, but she is not as mean as some of the others.

I have said all of this because I have been reminded of the verse in I Samuel 16:7 which is where God is telling Samuel who will be the next King of Israel after Saul. This verse was given after Samuel looked at Jesse's first son Eliab and thought from the outward looks he was the next king:

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance (face), or on the height of his stature (size); because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

My Mom and Dad (especially my Daddy...) used to tell me this saying all of the time when I was little. I would come out in a pretty outfit and want him/them to "brag" on me but all that was said was: "Pretty IS as Pretty DOES."

I used to hate it when he (or they!) said that to me.

I didn't fully understand it until my later years.

I didn't fully understand it until I saw my daughter show actions that I used to do as a child....actions that sometimes I found myself doing as an adult. Now I find myself saying the same phrase to her. I sometimes have to say it to myself. lol

It just shows that a person is known by what comes out of his/her "heart."

People really know you by what is on the inside once they get to know you. The outside doesn't matter anymore. The Lord continues to teach me this valuable lesson along with many others I am learning in life.

Proverbs 4:23
Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Isn't this warm weather nice!! I too have spring fever. They are calling for 79 here tomorrow. We may have to pull out shorts :-)