Monday, February 23, 2009

02/23/09

Here I am again with my rusty things. I think I also like this one better in the color because you see the contrast of the rust. I think it is safe to say that latch has been hanging down for some time.... don't you think?



You know... some days I find myself "reaching" for words. These are words that should come to mind easily but fly away at a moment's notice. I am coming to realize it may be because I have now taught in the lower grades for so long that my vocabulary is shrinking... or either it is my brain. I need to start researching a word of the day or something to boost my mental capabilities. In the middle of teaching today I was trying to come up with an intelligent word with which to explain something to my kids and all that came out was simple "mush."

Sometimes what comes out is not what was intended in the first place! I have told boys to "tuck in their shoelaces".... I meant to say "tuck in your shirts." There are so many word issues that I have had over the years I am not sure I can write them all down. One in particular is when I took my kids to Library one day and walked in to say "We have ARRIVEN!"

ARRIVEN?

Thankfully that was one of my good friends who teaches Library or she would have thought I had lost my mind. (or it shrunk...)

I come up with my own words a lot. I think I got that from my Daddy. He called a "pinata" a "Jalapaleno" one time. He called me a "Computer" instead of a "Commuter" when I was a freshmen in college. Yeah, it runs in my family....

My brother was the lucky one... he doesn't seem to have these issues. I am sure as he is reading this he is laughing because he knows of so many other ways I have misused words or just totally said them wrong.

On another teaching note.... I totally forgot all of my student's daily papers at school on Friday. Again... I don't know what I was thinking! I failed to grade ANY of them and passed them back out to the kiddos and suddenly realized... hmmm... I just don't recall checking those things. All of the ones I took up for an actual grade came home with me. Those daily papers - didn't. I don't think I have EVER done that in my teaching career but I learned long ago to never say never. lol I tell you ... I honestly think the brain has shrunk or I am misfiring.

If you are reading this and I am teaching or have taught your child/children.... don't panic. I really do know what I am doing. hee hee

Maybe you all got a good laugh today. Sometimes you need one on a Monday. :)

3 comments:

wendy said...

I make up words too. My most favorite one of all times is retardical.

Kevin said...

Who are with the children? HAHAHAHAHA There are too many to even count! Thanks for the laugh!!!!

Amy said...

Oh, I like the color one best too! And, I had a good giggle over your word mess-ups. :)