Monday, September 01, 2008

09/01/08

It is hard to believe it is September. In three months we'll be decorating for Christmas!

Today was Labor Day... a day off of school. :) I was trying to think back to why I didn't remember much about a restful Labor Day last year and then it hit me... I had just had my gallbladder removed the Friday before and was in no shape to be rested. lol I can't believe it has already been a year.

We worked on different stuff around the house today. I had to get some things done for the fair but didn't get very far, unfortunately! The kids worked out in the yard with Steve most of the day. Wesley helped him cut grass and Mikayla took some weeds off to the pasture. They both helped "chop" down a holly bush that had overtaken one of our beds in the back. It was good to see them working with Steve. We then went shopping to get a few things I needed for school as well as the stuff for the kittens. I continued to see today that I am really not a shopper. I just hate to spend money. lol :)

I thought I would show pictures of sugar cane from the other day. I teach my students about it so it was nice to see it up close. I need to print these off to show the kids. This is what Mikayla eventually tasted the molasses from the other day. It was neat to see how they used to do it with a donkey on a tree being led around it as the "machine" squeezed the juice out of the sugarcane. Now we have all kinds of machinery that takes the place that! (BTW... that donkey was NOT happy when we went to see him. I am thankful there was a tree in the way or one of us would have gotten hit with part of his equipment when he started going around in circles bucking the two men who were trying to hold him!) Enjoy the pictures. I am off to get myself ready for another day of school. :)







The donkey had been attached to the tree in the picture below. You can see the piles of the sugarcane once the juice is squeezed out it them. They then worked with the juice over a fire pit area and kept stirring it until it was made into the molasses. I honestly don't know all of the steps they took to get it to that point because we didn't stay there long enough to find out! You may need to click on the photo to see it larger.

4 comments:

Kevin said...

It was a mule, not a donkey. Big difference.

Sal Cartusciello said...

See the brother correcting the teacher. :-)

Forgot that your gall bladder troubles were right when we were leaving NC. Times sure does fly.

Gretchen said...

Hmm.. I'm thinking that a field trip to the Caribbean could be justified. You know, to see the sugar cane plantations in full swing. :o)

Amy said...

I'm with you, I can't believe it is September already. Where has this year gone?!?!?!? Great pictures!