Saturday, September 27, 2008

09/27/08

HOME.... we are glad to be here.

I can now say I have been through a "tropical storm" at the beach. Did I enjoy that experience?

NO. It made me greatly understand the need for people to evacuate when a hurricane is coming. lol

Here are some pictures of the beach from our hotel balcony. (The first one is actually "on the beach area because we were pressed for time before we went to our first session that night after we arrived... you can enjoy a pic of Wesley and Mikayla with the beach.. lol) I took them everyday to show you the progression and look of the beach. Let's just say I THINK you can pick out which day was the best.... and it wasn't when we got there. lol

Wednesday

Thursday morning... the clouds were bluish that morning. Not sure why it looks so differently from the next one.

Friday morning... the waves were worse this morning because it had stormed all Thursday late morning/early afternoon and into the night. We didn't sleep well that night!

This is the beautiful scene we awoke to today. Beyond words how pretty.... would have loved to have had another walk on that beach.

We had a good trip overall, though. Other than Thursday which was really bad... high winds and rain pelting you from all directions... the trip went great. The convention was good. I only had a couple of classes that weren't as good as I had hoped. The preaching was wonderful and I learned much from those. Don't be surprised if I share some of that on here!

Thursday we went to the Ripley's aquarium because we surely couldn't do anything outside! We normally wouldn't have gone there but we had no choice this trip. lol The kids loved it... they hadn't seen it since they were four so they saw it "afresh" this trip. When we left that night to go to eat, to Krispy Kreme and back to the hotel there was serious rain and wind. It was hard to drive in it all. These next two pics show what it looked like while we were driving and then at the hotel that night. Those poor palm trees were doing more than "blowing in the wind!" You'll have to click on that one to see it better. I was having a hard time even being on the balcony to get that shot. I felt like one of those TV reporters that always stand in the mess trying to report on how bad the weather is at the moment. lol

Driving to where we ate that night.

Poor Palm tree....

When we got out of convention yesterday, the sun was out, the wind had died down and it was a glorious day. The kids got to go swimming, the adults relaxed outside by the pool and we also got to walk on the beach. That water was COLD, though!! We didn't venture in it. lol It was interesting to watch the waves, though. They were pretty high even yesterday afternoon. There was also a lot of foam/suds in them, I guess from where the storm had churned the water so much.

Last night we ate out with our friends again and went putt-putting. Steve and I tied with the best score. I should have beat him. lol We then went "shopping" at one of the many places to shop at Myrtle Beach.

Today we left and we traveled up to Wilmington and to go to Orton Plantation and the USS North Carolina. I hadn't been to those since I was probably Wesley and Mikayla's age!!! It was a GREAT side trip to our Myrtle Beach trip. I was really glad to show Wesley and Mikayla these areas. We saw lots of wildlife at Orton Plantation... some of which I photographed. I'll be showing those, and lots others of our adventures.... in later posts.

We have been back a couple of hours now. Had to figure out what was wrong with my computer before I could load all of my pictures. Apparently while we were gone our electricity went off, and even though I had shut down my computer, it still affected it somehow. Thankfully, the Dell people "walked" me through the process to get it working correctly and we're doing great... as you can tell or you wouldn't be reading this. lol

I thank the Lord for a safe trip to and from the beach... as well as during the storm. He is the "Peace in the midst of the storm", you know... and I was reminded of that while we were there.

Glad to be back. Can't wait to show more pics. :)

3 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

Even with the bad weather, sounds like a good time was had by all. Hope you learned some good stuff. :-)

Amy ~ Just Being Aimlyss said...

So happy you were safe during the storm! Can't wait to see more pics of your adventures. I'm suprised those tables and chairs stayed put with the force of that wind, I can't even believe that the palm tree didn't topple over! :)

Amy said...

I hate that most of your trip was so stormy! It sounds like y'all had a great time though!