Thursday, December 01, 2011

12/01/11


Since we have now arrived at December it is time to view the NEW Christmas ornaments for the year.

For those of you who have been reading for years I think you will remember that I always go a bit crazy with the ornaments.  It is an exciting treat every year when I unveil the new ornaments to everyone.  The kids get three each and Steve and I get some, too.  I write the kids names on their boxes so that one day they will take them with them when they begin their own families.  (Well... I say that now.   I hope that I will be able to let them go with them. lol  Too many memories!)

I love, love, love Hallmark ornaments, but enjoy others as well.  The ones you see today are Hallmark ornaments.  Our tree is filled with them and now I don't even put the colored ball ornaments on the tree like I used to do.  We have enough of a job getting the Hallmark ones and "special" ones on the tree.

I will be the first to admit that I haven't finished all of the decorating.  The tree in the office hasn't been decorated yet.  The kids are supposed to put all of their homemade ornaments on that from school but I haven't quite communicated that to them yet.  :)

So... without further ado, here is your tour of our new ornaments:

Mikayla's "Fairy" ornament.  She has collected these for seven years now.  Each year they are a different flower and this year it is the "Mistletoe" fairy.  She is adorable.  Mikayla hung all of her fairy ornaments together on the tree.  You'll see more of those later in the month.
Cinderella... we have to get her each year.  This year she sings.  I love the collection of Cinderella's that make up our ornaments.
Tinkerbell.... she is so cute.  This one has her sitting on a red jingle bell.  Many years of this feisty fairy adorn our tree.
Now we'll look at Wesley's three ornaments.

His first one is a Ford Mustang.  Can't remember the year because I am not up on car models and years.  However, he loves these cars I have been getting him the last couple of years.
Of course we get a John Deere tractor every year.  Wesley gets so excited to see the new one.  He always compares the ones from previous years and enjoys those memories.
This year Wesley is all about planes.  I used to get him a "general" ornament when he was little because he didn't show interest in other things.  He then moved into trains, which he still loves them, too, but now airplanes have come forward.  He was so excited when I brought this one home.
My sweet Steve made the comment the other year that he didn't get to see "The Grinch that Stole Christmas" much on TV anymore.  (I think we just weren't seeing it, apparently. haha!)  That year I bought him the DVD so he could watch it anytime he wanted.  That same year I found out Hallmark had a Grinch ornament series, too.  I was hooked for him.  He loves these, too.  This one sings "You're a mean one... Mr. Grinch!"  It is great.  :)
 

Here are the ornaments for me. 
I find I am addicted to the Fisher Price ornaments that began a couple of years ago. 
This year is the clock and the family home.  I remember this clock!!  I was so excited to see it.
 

I know we had to have had this house growing up because Mom still has these little people!  In fact, when I showed this to the kids they said "We play with those little people at Mimi's!"  How cute is that?  I just wish we still had the house... I am sure if it was up in the attic it is long gone by now.
 
The ornament even opens up to show the inside just like the real toy.
 

Our ornaments bring many memories with them.

For the month of December I am able to enjoy these and many more memories on my tree.  I love to gaze at my tree and see all of the special parts.  You will be able to share in views of my tree over the month.  

What is your favorite ornament(s) on your tree?

3 comments:

Rebecca Bentley Hall said...

My favorite ornament is a very long, heavy spike/nail that is to be hung hidden on the interior of the tree as a reminder to only those who know it is there that Jesus came with a purpose ... to redeem the world as the sacrifice for us. Carter might get disinterested and not help decorate at all, but he always wants to help find he perfect spot for he nail.

I also like all the handcrafted ornaments that were made by my grandmother. I always get nostalgic when I hold them ... when those ornaments go up ... the tears come down.

Gretchen said...

Happy December, friend!!!

Oh my goodness. I LOVE your little Playskool house ornament. I had one of those houses growing up. I seriously want that ornament!!!

My favorite ornament(s) are three ornaments that hold pictures of my babies when they were 1,3, and 5. Deep, sweet sigh. ;)

Guess what my "word verification" is for this comment: HUGSDEC (december hugs!) how about that!!!

wendy said...

We have the same nail that Rebecca has. I got it for Phil before we got married and I was afraid to bring it on the plane with me because I thought the TSA would think I was bringing a weapon on board. I packed it in my checked in bag and all was well. We also have an ornament that we bought on our honeymoon. Love it.