Friday, December 09, 2011

12/09/11

This ornament is one from my childhood.  It is one that brings back sweet memories of how I loved to linger around the tree.  Mom had a whole set of these, but I am not sure where all of them ended up.

 

As I have been teaching my kids about Jesus' birth this week, I was reminded of something. 

The shepherds were the first to hear of Christ's birth.

I realize about now you are saying, "Uh, yes... that is common knowledge, Kellie." 

Bear with me as I share with you....

Shepherds were the "lowly" people of that time.  It was not a glorious job to watch over those stinky, stubborn animals.

If Jesus had been born in a palace, where truly the King of Kings and Lord of Lords *should* have been born, those "lowly" shepherds would have never darkened the door of the palace.  They would never have gotten to see the Christ Child.  It is a beautiful picture that any can come to Christ.  It can be anyone: rich, poor, weak, strong.

What I haven't thought as much about before is that shepherds came to Jesus first.

How many times do we see in the Bible where it says the Lord is our shepherd?

A shepherd would go after just one sheep not in the fold.  

A shepherd watched over those sheep to keep them from danger.  

A shepherd was always there for his sheep.

 How fitting that shepherds would be the first to see Jesus!!  They were a picture of Christ themselves!  They had to lead those stubborn and straying sheep just as Jesus leads us.... His stubborn and straying people.

I am thankful for this new "view" of that first Christmas.


John 10:14,27-28
I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my Father's hand.

No comments: