Thursday, August 05, 2010

08/05/10

This "pitcher" is actually something the pilgrims would have used to drink their beer... yes, beer. They didn't think water was good for you because it was clear. Of course, when they got to the new world and the barley didn't grow well here they had to learn to drink it more but they didn't like it. lol

Today I got up early.

Of course, I was actually awake from 1:30am till around 4:45am only to have my alarm awaken me at 5:30. A storm blew through last night and I couldn't get back to sleep. So much for a fresh first day back!

After going all summer in mostly shorts, t-shirt, hair in a ponytail and no make-up, I donned my "dress up" clothes and makeup while still having my hair in a ponytail because it was so hot. It was nice to see everyone at school again and catch up from what they did over the summer.

These little containers are what we began with Wesley and Mikayla this summer. I always wanted them to learn how to earn money, but I also feel that chores are EXPECTED and not because you are getting paid.

I have been going back and forth with this for a couple of years trying to figure out a good way to do this. I talked with a fellow Mom this summer that gave me the idea of "Commission" for the kids. They have a set number of expectations they are to do each day, every day, and at the end of the week if everything is checked off (done correctly, I might add..) then they can earn a dollar per thing. There are many things that aren't on that list that are just expected without the earning of money. They know those are to be done well, too.

With ours, the kids have the ability to earn up to $5.00 a week. Now, they have to EARN it and one of my children has learned that we don't just give you the money because you "forgot" to check off your area. :)

Attitude was one of the items on their lists. It has been good to help them keep attitudes in check and learn how to communicate in a manner that is honoring to the Lord. Their bonus is that dollar.

They have to put a dollar in "God", then a dollar goes to "Spend" and the rest goes to "Savings." If they don't earn all five dollars in a week then they still give God His first and then they don't have any spending money and not a lot of saving money.

It has given them freedom to make choices on how to spend their money, but yet taught valuable lessons on wasting the money when they have bought something and it was gone quickly or broken quickly. They are also learning to save for something they REALLY want.

I'm glad we started it in the summer. The next test will be when school starts back. :)

No comments: