Friday, June 26, 2009

06/26/09

This insect looks a bit like a ladybug, but I am not thinking it is. I looked it up in my insect guide but didn't find anything like it. It is a small field guide so I know it isn't "exhaustive"... Kind of neat, though!


Today I was able to spend some time with my photography mentor. It was more learning for me which means more practice. lol :)

No secret about Michael Jackson's death at this point... I must say I am not thrilled with all of the "hub-bub" surrounding his death. I realize the man had his talents and he did have some great songs in his earlier years, but his later years and how he acted caused me to turn away from any "liking" of him. Instead, I have felt a lot of pity. Pity for how I think him becoming a star at such a young age really messed him up and it led to him living out his childhood in his adult years... in weird ways.

Now, I understand the man is an "icon" of American music in the last forty years. However, if he had done more nobler things as I have seen other famous people who have passed, then I would probably shed a tear. (Ronald Reagan comes to my mind as someone who I shed tears over when he passed....)

Anyway, I am sad for his family and I hate they are going through this. I think of his children and all that they have been exposed to in their lives and how their lives will now be different.

I cannot condone what the man did in most of his adult life. I cannot "idolize" that type of behavior. He was not to be put on a pedestal or made into a "saint" as I have seen so many do in the last two days while watching TV or seeing pictures on the news. He was human.

I'll always remember the songs he sung and it will take me back to my growing up years in the 1980's, but I cannot be sad over the loss because of the choices this man made in his life. Maybe that is harsh. I just find that the older I get, I weep more over a simple life lived for the Lord that was lost, than a famous one that led a path in their own way. His life showed that one can have it all in this life but be totally miserable on the inside.

In doing my Bible study this morning I was reminded of this verse and it fits for today:

I Corinthians 2:9
But as it is written, eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

Do you love the Lord or the world?

We all saw what the world gave to Michael Jackson.

Is that what you really want in life?

2 comments:

Amy said...

The whole Michael Jackson thing has taken the media attention off our state and our sorry no-good governor lol

Amy said...

Michael Jackson was definitely a true fruit loop, not someone to idolize. He obviously had some big issues and agree with you that it may have been the early fame that caused some of it. I enjoyed his music from the 80's, but not the way he later chose to live his life.