Monday, June 15, 2009

06/15/09

Let me first say that there are a lot of pictures on here today. I felt the need to post all of these to get into Disney ones. LOL

On our way down to Disney we stopped at Kennedy Space Center... NASA. WOW... it was awesome. If you ever get the chance to go, I highly recommend it!!

I have never been one that kept up with the space age technology. I find the older I get the less I know and the more "stupid" I feel. However, that is why we go places to learn, huh?

I did learn WHY the Space Shuttle is called the Space SHUTTLE. It shuttles parts up into space to the International Space Station.

Now, here I go again showing how much I don't know, but I didn't realize the International Space Station was as old as it was. I had no idea what the Space Shuttle did every time it went into space. In recent years I knew it was working on the space station, but I thought that had just begun. LOL See how much I know about all of that!??? So much to learn!!!

Anyway, the shuttle program will end in September of 2010. They will go back to the "old" kind of rockets that have throw away rocket boosters and such after that. NASA is planning on going back to the moon and on to Mars. I know they are learning and searching but all they have to do to find out whether there is life on other planets is read God's Word. They might learn something, too! lol

Here is everyone (except me!) in front of the Space Shuttle that they have on display. It's was neat to be up close to something I have only seen on TV or in pictures.



Here am I... can you find me??? I am so small compared to the fuel tank and rockets!!!

Another view of the space shuttle and fuel tanks/rockets


Inside the shuttle.. this is how it carried things up into space for the space station.

Beautiful memory wall for those who have been astronauts and lost their lives. I can still remember when the Challenger blew up and still see it in my mind. I can also still remember February 1, 2003 when the Columbia broke apart coming back to earth. I was with Kevin and we were putting up my February bulletin board at school. Both times my heart broke. They sacrificed their lives for the cause of learning more of God's creation. It is something to think about!

up close

another memorial area

Me and the kiddos looking good in our "space suits"

Rocket garden... we learned this isn't a safe place to be when a thunderstorm is approaching! We couldn't stay here long.. notice the clouds!

another view of the Rocket Garden

The kiddos in a space capsule as we were heading out of there because of lightning.

This rocket was huge!! I think Steve is in this pic to the bottom left of the rocket. You'll have to click on it to view it larger.

We took a bus tour around the sites of the space center. That building was once the largest in the world, but now the fourth largest. It can hold the entire space shuttle and all attachments. Those doors are huge.... they take 45 minutes to open fully! The thing that looks like a platform with treads is what they use to transport the shuttle from that building to the launch pad. It only goes 1 mile an hour. It has to travel for 8 miles. Do the math to see how long it takes to get the shuttle to the launch pad. LOL

We went up on a tower pretty far away from the shuttle but I used my telephoto lens to get in closer... and this was as close as we got! It was awesome to see.

I tried a more wide angle view with my lens to show more around the pad.

It was supposed to take off last Saturday morning. We were up and ready to watch it when we found out it was postponed due to a leak in the Hydrogen tank. Good idea. I'll have to check to see when it is re-scheduled because I haven't remembered to do that.

Here is that building up close. We were in a bus so these pics aren't great. Those doors are HUGE.

front

model of the International Space Station

These are parts of the International Space Station from all over the world. See where the Japan flag is?? That is where the Japan equipment had been. The parts from Japan are loaded on the shuttle to go up now if I remember correctly. The part from Italy will be next in August, I believe.

This part is called the Leonardo, I believe.

After we left the space center we drove a couple of hours or so to Disney! Here is my first view of Disney from the second row seats of the van. lol Horrible picture but it is there for posterity.

We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter on Disney. This was a pretty resort!

Our room

They made our towels into Mickey's head! :)


That night we went to Universal Studios and ate at Emerils.


The next day, Sunday, we headed to Magic Kingdom!!!! This picture was one of those we had waited so long to take. Mikayla LOVES Cinderella!

Minnie Mouse's kitchen

Outside of Minnie's house

Mickey's bedroom

Mickey's garden... I had all of those who love to garden to be beside it. Notice I am still behind the camera. That has a two-fold reason. lol I wish I was more of a gardener....

Outside of Mickey's house

Here is where I'll stop for today. Hope you've enjoyed the first part of the tour. lol I have cooked supper tonight. I hope you all are sitting down when you read that. LOL :) The kids had Vacation Bible School this morning and then we worked on various things throughout the day. Off to enjoy that meal... and maybe a walk since we have not walked much in the last week. hee hee

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell Makayla she looks just like a princess standing beside Cinderella. Love all the pictures and the story to tell all about them.Tell Wesley he looked real handsome. Grandma Wiggs

Amy said...

I'm so excited to 'go along on your adventure' through your photos! Kennedy Space Center is so cool, we saw it on our way to the Disney Cruise, but didn't have a chance to stop. I'm happy you took lots of photos.

Your Disney shots are lots of fun, can't wait to see more! :)

Amy said...

We have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside before which is right by the resort you stayed at.

Kennedy Space Center looks fun. Glad y'all enjoyed it!