Tuesday, June 02, 2009

06/02/09

It is finished... Ahhh....

Here are the before pictures. I hate I didn't get a picture of the area where the fish tank used to be, but you can kind of see a bit of it in the first picture if you look to the right by the door frame.

This office has been an office/playroom. Before kids it was the office but it has always been a "catch all" area. I never could get the functionality right, it seemed. In trying to use what I have and understand the area I had in which to have an office and play room, I did the best I could at the time. However, it became an overwhelming area of piles, piles, and more piles as well as just "junk" from the kids stuff. The more they got for Christmas and birthdays the more overwhelmed I became and we just kind of "stuck it in the office." During the school year I do not have the time or ENERGY it takes to get this office cleaned as it should be. I am glad I tackled it at the beginning of summer and can truly enjoy it.

The paint was some kind of blue iris or something and the only reason I chose it was because of the material for the window treatments. I had bought it for Mikayla's room when she was little only to find out it did NOT match anything in her room. lol I didn't want to waste the material so I had the office colors done around that lovely material. I had originally wanted purple, but, you know what... I am finding I wouldn't have been ready for what I have now so the "blue iris" or whatever color it was suited the area just fine until now.

If you want to click on them to view the mess larger, feel free to do so. lol




Do you understand now what a MESS I had to clean up? Do you see why it took me over a week to get it sorted? Two - three large trash bags and about 3 tall kitchen sized trash bags later, as well as piles for Goodwill, some "teacher stuff" piles going to others who need the materials, piles of old books to go in the attic, piles of outgrown play things going in the attic, etc... you now see my new and IMPROVED GREATLY office/playroom. (again, click on them to see larger)

The pictures above my desk are of my babies I took a couple of years ago at a park and their feet picture I had entered into the fair. I will be framing their artwork from Kindergarten and this year that are their self-portraits they did. They will be displayed to the right of my desk.



These next two shots are the same, but you can see the actual color better of the purple in the first one. When I took the pics I had to let more light in for you to see everything (second one) and it gave a false read on the actual color of the purple.




The closet... it is still packed, but with things that are needed and it looks a lot better. You see all of that on the right... file, plastic container, green plastic container... and there are more past the picture area... well, those are all full of "extra" pictures. I told you all I took a lot! I am thankful now for digital where I can save extras on my computer. lol

The bookcase on the right used to be in the nursery, then it went into Mikayla's closet for storage of her "stuff" but now that she is getting taller her clothes are longer and this was in the way. This is where the fish tank used to sit. We enjoyed it for 7 years but it was time to move on. I can now have a place for my globe as I teach Wesley and Mikayla geography as well as show off the mask Kevin bought me in Mexico a couple of years ago. It is so beautiful and looks wonderful against the light wood and purple walls. (Click the photo to see the mask better, too.)

I've now got to figure out what to hang above the wall over the bookcase. I know it will come to me. lol


I absolutely love it. :)

I pray when the craziness of school starts back that it will remain. At least now I have it all organized and everything will have a place. Wesley is beyond excited at the neatness because he is so OCD it was about to send him over the edge. lol (Me, too....)

On another exciting note... I ordered my new camera last night... a Canon 40D. I am so excited! The Lord enabled me to save enough money to get it. I cannot wait till it comes! I decided to have it shipped 2 day air. lol (I was a bit impatient for another reason.... see below.)

The kids are finding out tonight and that is why I am finally posting this. We are leaving for Disney World on Friday! We have kept it a secret from them because I LOVE secrets. :) (Plus, I didn't want to hear it from them every day for 8 months...) They are getting a card in the mail today telling them all about it. We are "forgetting" to get the mail on purpose so that we are all home tonight when they open them. We are leaving Friday early and not coming back until Sunday, June 14. hee hee... I haven't been since 1981 and Steve has never been. I know it has changed A LOT so we're all in for a great surprise!!

So much today!! Thanks for stopping in and enjoying my new and improved room... and my other fun news!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

WOW is all I can say. You've accomplished a lot in cleaning out your office, and it looks great!! Oh, and can we come to Disney with you?! ;) Our kids have never been, and we are hoping to take them soon. Your kids are going to be so excited!! Hope you guys have a wonderful time!!

Anonymous said...

Viv said , Wow, the office is beautiful, you have so much more room, I know you will enjoy it. Wesley & Makayla, I bet you could just scream, and you proabley did. Grandma hope's you have lots of fun. Bye for now!

Rebecca Bentley Hall said...

What a great gift for your sweet children! That's a great surprise. I know you will have a GREAT time. :) The room looks amazing. What an encouragement for me to get busy with our guest room/office. :)

Amy said...

Your room looks amazing!!! I bet it feels so good to be in there now. And, I'm so excited for your trip, I'm wondering if I could squeeze into one of your suitcases??? :)

Anonymous said...

I am SO excited for you!! Disney is the most magical place on Earth :) I can't wait to see all the pics from your trip. There is so much to do and see, you'll need another trip to take it all in!

Scarlette

Amy said...

The room looks great!!!!!!

That was a good idea to not tell them until right before. I made the mistake and told mine about our Disney trip. Now everyday C asks "Are we going to Disney today????" I have 3 months of him asking me that 238797 times a day lol