Tuesday, July 01, 2008

07/01/08

Sorry for not posting yesterday. It takes forever to get these pictures loaded and when I began working on it the blogger system was telling me it had internal errors... so, I decided to try again today.

Speaking of today... WOW, a beautiful day. I wish I had stayed outside for all of it. That is saying a lot for this "inside" girl. I took the kids on a walk around Yates Mill Pond Park. We stayed there almost three hours. I was taking pics and the kids were enjoying more of God's Creation. The sky was so blue, the clouds were so white and puffy and it was just wonderful with no humidity! Unfortunately, I think tomorrow will not be so pleasant. I sat outside with the kids and ate lunch. They were wanting to eat in their playhouse and I chose to hang out on the deck. It was a glorious day to praise the Creator Himself!! Tonight we went for a family walk. It was good to be together.

I took a ton of pictures of things today but can't show them until I finish all of these vacation pictures! Whew....

Today's pictures are of our visit to the Cherokee Reservation the Wednesday of our trip. I loved this day. There aren't a lot of scenic pics today but there are neat ones to show how the Cherokee lived. I wish I could remember everything, but I did buy some things for school so that will help.

I love learning about the different peoples around the world. There is no such thing as the "Indian Race", the "Black Race", etc..... it is the HUMAN RACE. The word "race" as we know it is not even mentioned in the Bible. God always uses the word "nations" when talking about different groups of people that were separated after the Tower of Babel. I could go on and on about this, but just know we are all the same on the inside. It doesn't matter what color we are on the outside. A title of a book I read last year always comes to mind when I think of this topic or I teach it to my children "The Color of Your Skin Ain't the Color of Your Heart." We are ALL made in the image of God and we all need the Lord Jesus as our Savior in order to live eternally with Him. He is the way, the truth, and the Life... there is no other way to Heaven.

We went to the Cherokee Museum first which was quite helpful. There was so much information to absorb, but it helped to get a feeling for how they lived. I want to carry that knowledge back to my classroom. Thankfully, I found a book I can read to the kids so I can continue to learn as they learn!!

After we went to the museum, we went to a village that showed how they used to live. It was fascinating and gave me a deeper respect for all the Native Americans did before "we" came along. My brother talked about in his blog how the "white" settlers used to call Indians "savages" but we found out while we were in Cherokee that the Cherokee language has no curse words at all. Our language is full of them. As my brother stated "Who are the real savages?" The Cherokee also do not use the word "Goodbye"... they have no word for it in their language. They choose to say "Until we meet again" or something of that nature. There is never a final goodbye for them. A good way to see things. We looked at how they made pottery, bead work, arrowheads, weaving, etc. We saw their houses and how they changed when settlers came. We saw so much! I have given descriptions of what I could remember down below. If I had written down more I would remember. Visual learners do not remember well if it has only been spoken to them. lol

That night we went to the outdoor drama "Unto These Hills." It was very good and we enjoyed it. It also helped us to understand more of what happened to the Cherokee. I have the book "The Trail of Tears" and will be reading it to my class this year. It is a shame what happened to them.

On a different note, Mikayla continues to do well with her cross-stitch. She has caught on quite well and seems to really enjoy it. That makes me happy. Thank you to all who have sent "encouragement" for her. I'll show pics of all of that when I finally get through these vacation pics. lol

Tomorrow is the Biltmore House. I am going to have to start uploading pictures as soon as I get up in the morning to get them all on here. lol

Enjoy these today!


The sign outside of the Cherokee Indian Museum.
This is a statue of Sequoya outside of the Cherokee Museum. He is responsible for making a written language for the Cherokee and was the first man to make a language without knowing how to read or write. I couldn't tell you how to pronounce any of their syllabery, but it was quite neat to see how he was used so the Cherokee could become literate. This statue is made out of a California Sequoia tree. From what I have read and understand, the sequoia tree was named after him!

Here is a woman making pottery. You see the action of her hands making the pottery smooth.


We watched the ladies making baskets.


Making arrowheads. You can see the action of his hands moving the flint to make the points.
Weaving.... beautiful.

This was how they made canoes. They packed the mud around the area they wanted to burn out and then set the inside of the mud area to burn. It used to take 6 months for them to make a canoe and once one was made it was for a lifetime. Once metal was introduced to them they were able to make one in six weeks.

Center of the tribe... this was a place all seven clans came together to meet. It is where they worshiped and had dances. The square where the man is standing is considered their holy ground and only certain people were allowed inside. I truly wish I remembered more about this... but I didn't write it down!

Counsel House

A Cherokee home.... didn't look like I thought!

The bead work was beautiful!!

Dad and the kiddos at the opening of the sweat house.

Meeting area... Holy Ground to the Cherokee

Butterfly I found on a wild rhododendron bud. Wish I had had a tripod....

The kids and I in the Indian Garden at the village.

Leader of the Cherokee dances we saw.

Cherokee Bear Dance

Center part of the worship square for the Cherokee

"Unto These Hills" staging/ampitheatre

Kevin with the kiddos

Waiting for the play to start!

Seven clans of the Cherokee (can't remember the individual names right now.... I am sure Kevin would...)

Eagle Dance

The play depicting the "trail of tears"

4 comments:

Kevin said...

"Trail of Tears" should be capitalized! As for the clan names, here they are: Deer, Wolf, Paint, Long Hair, Blue, Bird, and Wild Potato.

mc said...

I love all that you are teaching us- your readers! I knew about the Trail of Tears from Harrison being in a play in 4th grade about Tsali, but not about the Cherokee language. You r pictures look like a brochure! Love, MC

Sal Cartusciello said...

See, I didn't need a vacation this year, as I will just go through yours and even learn something along the way.

That's a pretty big theater.

Yates Mill Pond. There sure did a great job renovating it after the hurricanes.

Amy said...

So cool! My great-grandmother was full Cherokee Indian, she lived in Lawton, OK. Her husband, my great-grandfather knew Geronimo! My grandpa told me some awesome stories when I was growing up (they lived next door to us for about 10 years before they passed away.) I love your photos, my favorite is of the woman making pottery where you can see the motion. I want to visit this place too!