Sunday, June 29, 2008

06/29/08

Today's pics are from Fontana Lake Dam. We drove there after the train ride that Tuesday. It was a bit of a trek to get there, but Daddy said he hadn't been since 1960, not too many years after it was opened, and wanted to see it again since we were much closer than home! It was worth the trip.

It was neat to see... didn't realize we had a dam like this in NC! I know there are larger dams around the world, but this one was pretty impressive. They began building it during World War II. This is where Fontana Lake comes from.... The Tennessee Valley Authority own it to use it for Hydroelectric power. It was an experience to walk on it. If you are ever near there I highly recommend seeing it! Daddy was glad he went to it again after all of those years.

I was amazed at the Flood Gates... HUGE. I find that I am more afraid of heights than I used to be and I had a few moments of not enjoying being so up high, but I try to move past that because I don't want to miss something pretty spectacular. Still... my heart gives a few leaps inside. lol I was so nervous around those flood gates with the kids, though. It seems my "Mother's Heart" has a hard time when they are around. lol

Today was church and I was glad to be there. We have recently found out another one of our members, around 29 years and just had a baby five weeks ago, possibly has a brain tumor. It is a bit hard to take after dealing with Pastor Mike two years ago with the same kind of scenario. The doctors are not sure if it is benign or cancerous, but the family said today they do feel it is a tumor. If you would please remember Blair Therit and her husband, David, in your prayers. Right now the future is uncertain but God is there holding her in the palm of His hands... for that we are certain.

I began teaching Mikayla how to cross-stitch today. She had bought a cross-stitch kit for a bookmark when we were in Cades Cove. She did AWESOME with it even with having a few moments of "issues", but I was so proud of her. I'll have to take pictures of it and show her progress. I have to get through all of these pictures from the trip first! ha!!! She is left-handed but I am teaching her to do it right-handed because I think it will help her a little better. She did really well with that. It makes me want to do another one of my own! I used to cross-stitch all of the time when I was younger. This will be a good hobby for her. It is counted cross-stitch so she has to think about it as she does it.

The kids are watching a movie and I am going to get off of here. Enjoy the pictures for today!


On the road on top of the dam looking at Fontana Lake. It was, again, just beautiful...

Mountain peak from the road on the dam.

The road across the dam... that is my brother walking in front of me.

The family minus Kevin who was taking this picture. Mom was NOT thrilled about being up so high and being near the edge of this dam. lol

View of the overlook area from the dam.

Flood gate looking down... this kind of freaked me out. lol

Flood Gates

View of the dam and the electrical wires from the overlook area.

River from the dam

Flood Gates... you can see how big they are... that is Mom to the right with the yellow shirt looking quite tiny. I was on the overlook observation deck.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kellie, I just got back from out of town and I am getting caught up on your trip! I am an avid crosstitcher and love that Mikayla is learning! I learned at about age 10! Keep posting about your fabulous trip! Love, MC

Gretchen said...

Wow! I didn't know this was in NC!

Amy said...

So cool, this reminds me of my visits to Hoover Dam. I've been a few times and am amazed each time by the massive size!

I just said a prayer for Blair, what a sad situation, please keep us updated.

Can't wait to see what Mikayla makes!

Sal Cartusciello said...

Who knew there was a dam in NC. You know this is going to make Morgan, Cassie and I do a road trip vacation when we return. Umm, maybe.

If Mikayla is left handed, let her be. All you right handed people want to change us. :-(

We will give our thoughts to that young family. I have heard that work too, too much this past year.

Amy said...

I forgot to mention that Allyson and Wayne are both lefties. When Allyson was learning how to do things like use the computer mouse, I didn't realize there was a way to make it easier for her and taught her to do a lot of things right-handed! She now is pretty good at doing things with both hands because of it. She definitely eats and writes left-handed and she is left-footed in soccer, otherwise she used either (baseball, tennis, golf, etc.)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Kellie, I didn't know we had a dam in NC like this either! LOL! We have a few smaller dams down my way, but nothing like this! What a neat trip! The train ride looked like so much fun! I liked the houses on water, never seen those in NC either! I really enjoyed your traveling post and may have to visit some of these soon! The kids would love it!

Thanks so much for you comments and prayers on David! I'll be away for the next few days, with him! But I hope you have a great 4th! Hugs, Rhonda :)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Oh, and my prayers are with Blair and her family! ~Rhonda

Morgan said...

I love Cross-stitching! I love that Mikayla is delving into it at such an early age. One of my favorite things was a Christmas stocking I stiched for Cassie for her 1st Christmas. I never hang it up, but I love running across it every time when decorations come out of storage. It was my first major cross stitch project and there are a few puckers here and there, but it's gorgeous and it means the world to me! And hopefully, one day will mean the world to her......love the photos, girl!