Thursday, July 24, 2008

07/24/08

Today I am showing pictures of gardens. Now, I do not have a green thumb, but the other part of my family does. I don't take any credit for anything grown in our yard except for an occasional grass cutting event. Steve is our "Master Gardener" and he does an awesome job.

The first pictures are of the garden at Mom and Dad's. They have re-worked this whole area and made the raised beds bigger and longer. It took them a while to get it done... and a lot of work! I decided to photograph their garden this year. It has already changed and grown a lot since I took these first two pictures! I have pictures of blooms and vegetables from their garden that I'll save for another post.

I can remember the summers as a child when we would have to go pick vegetables out of the garden. One year we had our garden down below us on the road we live on when our road was dirt. Yes, that was a while ago! Our okra that year was over 7 feet tall... huge stuff. It had wonderful fertilizer from the farm. lol We had purple hull peas that would not quit. Since I have an aversion to insects and any thing that creeps and crawls, I never did well in a garden... and still don't. I also remember going to one of our neighbors houses who like to plant rows and rows of vegetables that were about a mile long. I can remember my Mom picking butter beans and picking a bushel basket full before I even got the bottom of my bucket filled. I so admire my parents for their hard work and what it showed me as a young child. I still don't do well in a garden..... lol

BUT... as I said above, I LOVE to see gardens growing. This past spring was so wild and crazy on the weekends that Steve didn't get our garden planted. At the beginning of summer he decided he just wouldn't have a regular garden but would plant tomatoes and peppers in pots near the deck. They haven't done well and Steve has been a bit bummed about that. A couple of weeks ago, Steve couldn't stand not having a garden any longer and began talking about tilling up the garden area and getting it looking better. He planted cucumbers, okra and squash because it was so late in the season to plant much else. It has rained a bit this week and I am amazed at how much it has grown in the few days since I took these last three pictures on Sunday. I love to watch the plants growing. I love to photograph them. I am not the greatest at getting out there and working IN it. lol

Can you see a pattern in this post? I wish I was a go-getter in the garden pickin' department. I wish I just loved the outdoors so much that all of the dirt and insects didn't bother me... but that just isn't me. Maybe I need to learn to become "ONE" with the outdoors... Maybe not.

I got home from my class tonight and we found ants had now invaded another part of our kitchen.... and they are everywhere... AGAIN. I hate ants.

Off to "chill" after being gone again all day. Steve is working late. Hope he's home soon.

5 comments:

mc said...

I, too wish I could have a green thumb. I have such fond memories of my Dad's gardens. My all time favorite was okra. I also remember shelling the butterbeans. Your thumbs would turn black and the next day you could hardly move them! They are soooo good. When I go to the farmer's market in Raleigh, they have them already shelled- how boring!!

Kimberly said...

Kellie, I have the same problems. I am not outdoorsie, and I am not into ants. They are coming through one of the wall sockets in my kitchen--grrr. You need to ask me Sunday about how I was picking the garden at my inlaws the other day. Quite comical!

Sal Cartusciello said...

Sorry about your ants.

Morgan has mentioned a garden when we get back to NC. Because we are leaving the back "natural", we should be aboe to get an area set aside for it.

Gretchen said...

I need your man's or your dad's gardening advice.
We've tried and failed the past 3 years. This past weekend, my man went and pulled up everything in our garden because it was so disgusting.

Can you ask him what kind of mulch we should put down after planting, if any?

Amy said...

Beautiful gardens! I'm terrified of critters though and gardens seem to be full of them! I'm an indoor girly-girl. :)

p.s. Can't stand ants either, our kitchen is on the third floor, they'd never find it! Oh yeah, I've never tasted okra either, I'm not even sure if they sell it at the stores here. My mom is from Oklahoma and LOVES okra!