Friday, July 18, 2008

07/18/08

I am showing off some toadstools today. :) The kids and I saw these on our hike around Yates Mill the other week. They were so cute, actually! We thought it looked like a table and "chair." Wesley and Mikayla thought a lot of toads enjoyed that for their meals. They are pretty neat. I have no idea exactly what type they are. I had fun photographing the big one.




I hate ants.

They are back again with a vengeance. Oh wait... they have never LEFT!

We have issues with those critters all year but certain times they come out of nowhere and just stay. Last night was one of those times. Steve was in the kitchen while I was working on washing some clothes and he told me to come look... They were ALL over our pantry floor and making their way through each shelf. YUCK.

Now, I have been wanting and needing to clean out the pantry, but you have to be in the right frame of mind or you will just keep stuff and shuffle it to another spot. Last night, I had no reservations about keeping certain things! Our pantry has been cleaned but not in the way I had wanted! We sprayed and then wiped down everything. They are just annoying beyond words.

This morning while I was cleaning I looked in the laundry room where we keep Ashes' food bowl and there they were again.... fighting for that scrumptious cat food. I had to throw that out as well. Poor cat! That's ok... she got fresh food after I vacuumed up and sprayed all of them.

You know the song "I found my thrill... on Blueberry Hill..."
Well, our "song" goes like this "We have critters to kill.... On Our Ant Hill...." I think of that song everytime we have an outbreak. I sing it often.

As mentioned above, we cleaned today. May I just say how proud I am of my children? They know what to do when we clean and when to do it...and are working on how to do it correctly. They just "know" when it is time to clean and they work very hard, for the most part. I have been giving them different jobs to do that I could do myself but know they need to learn. It is wonderful watching that maturity take hold and it become something they know is expected. It also is precious to see them do it with the right heart attitude.

I sat back at lunch today and just watched both of them. They are growing up way too fast, but what I am seeing is making me thankful for how far I have watched them grow and mature. I have thoroughly enjoyed this summer with them. I won't even type right now what is in my head. Can't go there quite yet.

We went swimming this afternoon... at least the kids did. One of Wesley's friends from school invited us. It was a fun afternoon. Storms came up all of a sudden right when we were getting ready to leave. Wesley is better about storms, but the boy was ready to go. lol After they had worked so hard today I was glad they had that time to play.

Not sure what we're doing tonight since the rain came a bit early. We'll see if our nightly walk will happen. :) Have a great evening... and I hope you don't have any ants your way....

4 comments:

mc said...

Kellie,
Sorry about your ant visitors! I was thinking of the song, "The ants go marching one by one....etc"...right out your door!

Sal Cartusciello said...

Sometimes I am slow. It only took me 42 years to realize why they are called "toadstools". I'm now going to crawl into a hole.

BTW, great picture of the larger one.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Another blog with a talented photographer...the pics are beautiful, but more beautiful is the responsibility being shown with your children. Isn't it just wonderful when they exude character qualities that you have been praying about.
AH...a clean house...nothing better.

Amy said...

I thought that was an adorable table/chair set until I saw the last photo! Amazing! And, I despise ants too!!!