Saturday, July 19, 2008

07/19/08




These pictures of the sunflower and vegetables are in honor of my nephew, Austin. He grew these and gave them to Steve's Mom today. He was so proud of his accomplishment, and rightly so. As soon as I saw it all and realized he had grown them I knew I had to do some photography!! It was so sweet that he grew these and gave them with such a sweet heart to his grandmother. Those veggies look awesome!

We had Steve's family over to celebrate his Mom's birthday today. Her birthday was actually on Wednesday. We were glad to have everyone over. It was a really nice afternoon and I think everyone had a good time.

I have been thinking the last couple of days on how special and wonderful our times as a family are around the dinner table. The summer is when we have more "quality" time around it because we aren't so tired or rushed to get finished and get ready for bed/ grade papers. I love sitting and talking about our days, or even not saying much at all, but being together. We're together when we go out to eat (which, unfortunately we do a lot during the school year) but being at home is a time that is sweet. Everyone pitches in to get the table set or cleared and we are just enjoying the moment. I remember driving through a subdivision years ago and one family had their front door open and you could see through the foyer to their kitchen. That family was sitting around the table enjoying a quiet supper together. It brought a smile to my face. Too many families today don't seem to have enough quality time around the dinner table. Everyone is going so many different places that it isn't always feasible. It happens to us, too, but I hope it won't happen often. I realize as the kids get older that things will change, but I hope that will always stay.

Sitting around our dining room table with Steve's family today caused me to think on this again. I enjoyed hearing the laughter and the "remember when..." as well as seeing everyone enjoy the meal.

You all know that cooking is not my most favorite thing to do... BUT, when I do cook I try to do my best. I made potato salad today for the first time in a LONG time. Boy, is that a time consuming dish! I enjoyed the process, I must say. I added onion, egg and bell pepper to it. I felt just like Rachel Ray as I used one of her knives. They'll be wanting me on the Food Network, I just know it. My show would be called the "Slowest Cook in the Kitchen." As I was cutting up those onion and bell pepper pieces I was not the quickest. lol I have not mastered a knife with the skill that I observe on those shows. In fact, a few of my fingers almost "got it" today. Thankfully, I have all ten fingers... and fingernails and we all enjoyed the potato salad. The only thing missing was a bit of celery salt. Oh well... cook and learn. lol And, yes, I did have to call my Mom to make sure I was doing it right. ha!!

On the other hand, Steve amazes me with his cooking. He cooked chickens on the grill for today and they were beyond good... they were lip smackin' and finger-lickin' good. He makes his own sauce and does all kinds of stuff to them the night before. He also wanted to "whip up" the baked beans. He loves to cook and overall does an awesome job. He has had a few moments in his cooking career that we look back on and chuckle. His barbecue/spaghetti sauce concoction was one of them, but he is always willing to help me out in that area and I appreciate him very much.

He is a talented man. I am so glad he's mine. :)

Off to spend time with that sweet guy and my little munchkins. Have a super evening!

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a sweet nephew and a mighty good gardner too! Love your photos, my favorite of the sunflowers is the one from the back. I could be your co-cook on the show, I'm super-slow too at cutting veggies. I always want to try to go fast, but I'm afraid I'll add a finger to the recipe!