Wednesday, July 30, 2008

07/30/08

My first picture of the day is the one you waited for from the last post.... the bird poop on my shoulder. Oh, the joy. I cannot tell you the thoughts that ran through my mind the minute it "landed." I knew I had just made a memory! Isn't that what I am always talking about, though?

Lovely, isn't it?



The following pictures are of my "treasure" I found at Goodwill last week. I think I mentioned it, but wanted to show it all "before and after."

Now, this is all new to me. Some of the other bloggers I read do this often and they inspired me. :) I have creativity, but not as much as others. Sometimes I am a little too linear for my own good. My best friend has been after me for a long time to get something for all of my notes, reminders, etc... that are always on my cabinet doors in the kitchen. I have to see things for me to remember them so that is the reason they are everywhere.... especially during school. We had looked at some in specialty catalogs and those things were rather pricey. I, being the cheap no spending money person that I am, didn't want to spend a lot on that! I have been waiting and wondering what to do. Well, I decided last week to hit Goodwill for a special find. I truly had no idea what I was looking for and stumbled across this little thing! I actually could envision it being something different than it was. I was tickled, too, because it was only $1.99 compared to around $50.00 for the other ones I had seen. :)



After applying two coats of paint to cover up the natural color and then changing out the hooks I now have a "new" message center by my phone in the kitchen!! Steve and I found those silver flower decorations at Lowe's and used them instead of the hooks. I was quite afraid my telephone cord would get wrapped in those hooks and tear the thing off the wall!! I was pretty tickled with my first "used to new" find. What do you all think?



I think I may go to another Goodwill or Thrift store and see what else I can find. One of my "older" fruit/flower arrangements in the kitchen came down last night.... in pieces. I put up the small plates Wesley and Mikayla had made for me in Kindergarten. I love them there. Now everyone can see the sweet treasures my babies made for me! The poor arrangement, however, is not going to be "whole" again. There are parts than can be used again, but overall that is a "done deal." I think lovingly hanging it on my wall for almost 12 years is getting good use out of it, right? Now I have to find a new something for my counter top where the plates once held residence. We'll see what I find! :)

On another note, Ashes is not doing well at all. Last night she tried twice to jump up on the bed to be with me and couldn't do it. That broke my heart. I truly thought I would have more time with her, but I see her going downhill fast. She just isn't acting like Ashes did 2 weeks ago... even a week ago. I can't stand the thought of what is approaching quicker than I imagined, but I have learned to see it that I have had time to love her and say goodbye.

One of my new blogger friends (Rhonda) does an "Encouraging Words Wednesday." I love to see what she has written that will lift my spirits each Wednesday. I desire to do that myself, but am not sure if I'll remember every Wednesday, especially with school starting, but thought I'd give it a go for today. (In fact, mine may be an encouraging word day whenever I can remember! lol)

Tonight there was a problem on our road and the police had it blocked off. We found out later it was due to a power line falling. Well, when we didn't know what was going on, Wesley said "Mom, God knew all about what is happening and we don't need to worry, right?" How true. He is such a thinker and I continue to be amazed at how deeply he thinks a matter through sometimes. We didn't know if someone was hurt or it had been a wreck or something, but God knew... and He was taking care of the situation! It really was something simple, but it could have been more severe.

How many times do we worry and stress out over something when all we need to do is stop and realize we are safe in the Lord? The kids devotion tonight went along with that quite well. I even talked about Wesley's comment with both of them as I read it to them.

Deuteronomy 33:27a
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms:

What a blessing that was to read tonight! I have found another favorite verse!! I think I am going to copy this down and put it around (on my new message center!!!) and have it to remember that God is my refuge and He is holding me each step of the way.

It caused me to think of this old hymn: "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms"

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms?
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.


Leaning, leaning,

Safe and secure from all alarms;

Leaning, leaning,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.


In the next week I am going to begin again the craziness that comes with what I do for a living. I know there will be many days I will need to remember this verse and sing this song to myself.

Here are a few quotes I have found that deal with this:

God, the eternal God, is our support at all times, especially when we are sinking into deep trouble. There are seasons when we sink quite low.... Dear child of God, even when you are at your lowest, underneath are the everlasting arms. - Charles Spurgeon

However low the people of God are at any time brought, everlasting arms are underneath them to keep the spirit from fainting and the faith from failing, even when they are pressed above measure... everlasting arms with which believers have been wonderfully sustained and kept cheerful in the worst of times. Divine grace is sufficient. - Matthew Henry

May you feel the comfort of God's everlasting arms today!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Very nice "upgrade" to the memo board. :)
Ok how did you change your comment text? I have been trying to do that for months....

Amy said...

Great work on the corkboard, it looks awesome! This past Sunday, our pastor did our service on how we shouldn't worry. It seemed so timely for me because I always seem to worry about everything. He gave us some verses that talked straight at me, I highlighted them in my Bible and plan to pin up that outline because I need reminding constantly on that issue. :)

wendy said...

I love the little silver flowers on your new message board! Our 1st day back is Sept. 3rd, but teachers have a work week the week before. And as you well know, I'll be putting in a whole lot more than a week in before it all begins. The schools in the south start way too early for me :) My best friend lives in Charleston, SC and her kids always go back in early August.

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Kellie, You did a wonderful job on the message center! I love the flower silver pieces! Turning trash to treasures is my passion! ....and I love a bargain! LOL! It is a shame for fruit arrangment fell! It was so pretty! But, I'm sure you will enjoy the plates the kids made much more!

So Sorry about Ashes!

I really liked your EWW devotion too! I love that song! I am so glad we do have God's arms to lean on in any and all situations! What a solace! If you ever want to use my EWW graphic, you are more than welcome!

Enjoy the rest of your week...can't believe it is already time to prepare for school!
~Hugs, Rhonda

Morgan said...

WOMAN----great job on your message center! Amazing what 2 bux and a little paint will do, huh? Gotta love the Goodwill store. There is a great one off Maynard called the Dorcas Thrift Shop. It's Christian run and the money goes to battered women shelters. The address is 1231 NE Maynard Rd.,Cary 27513 BIG store!