Tuesday, July 14, 2009

07/14/09

Here is a Harbor Seal from SeaWorld I haven't shown yet. :)


I was reminded today of how we need to show God's love whether it is through a smile or just telling someone to have a good day. I heard the checkout lady at Walmart say to the customer in front of me, who she knew, that her husband had committed suicide last September. She began to say she was going to grief counseling and taking it day by day. When I got up to her, I saw her through different eyes. She wasn't just the lady checking me out at Walmart... she was someone who lives life outside of that place and has feelings and emotions like anyone else. Sometimes it seems we forget that when we deal with the public.

You know, we never know what someone may be going through or has gone through recently when we see strangers (or even people we see often, for that matter!). Showing the love of Christ in big and small ways can make a difference. A kind word, smile, or even helping someone with their shopping cart, like another lady did for me today when I left Walmart, can cause the load someone may bear to be a little less heavy for a moment.

Colossians 4:6 (NASB)
Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Ahem...The picture is not of a California Sea-lion, but of a Harbor Seal. There is a big difference in their faces. Google it.

Amy said...

What a great reminder. Have you heard "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath? I LOVE that song, it's definitely one of my most-listened to songs on my iPod. If you haven't, go to this link and you can watch the video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihvG607W-c. Such a powerful song that goes right along with what your wrote.

Katrina said...

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones. Proverbs 16:24

Wonderful reminder!