Sunday, February 27, 2011

02/27/11

James 1:2-3
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

James 5:11
Behold, we count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord's dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful.

Imagine you are in your car headed on a main freeway. You are cruising along when suddenly you begin to see brake lights up ahead. Traffic slows to a crawl and the road turns into one lane. You look ahead and realize the DOT is working on the road.... tearing up the old road and re-paving. You are going to be late for what you were intending to do! You look to the other lanes of traffic going the opposite direction and that traffic is moving freely. You begin to grumble and complain that this road construction is putting you behind in what YOU want to do. You try to find detours to get out of all the "mess." You wish you had gone another way.

Trials in life are like that.

Trials come out of nowhere sometimes. Trials can be burdensome and overwhelming.

When we remember to look to the Lord through those trials, and realize they are for our own good to make us more like Christ, they can be put into better perspective.

When you go through the construction zone some time later and the pavement is smooth and the way is clear, you realize that all of that burden was for good. You realize it was worth it in the end.

This was our sermon today from our Youth Pastor. I will never look at road construction in the same way without seeing the analogy of a trial.

How do you respond in the midst of the trials in your life? Do you grumble and complain and want a way out, or do you sit back, take each moment as it comes and allow the Lord to guide you through knowing you are learning in the process?

I have said many times that a trial I have gone through recently was a hard journey and one I wouldn't wish to repeat, however, what I learned through that trial brought me closer to the Lord. For that I am so thankful for what He put me through.... and for what He is still teaching me today. I am now able to feel the smoother pavement beneath my feet.

Here is a song we sang today at church - Rejoice in the Lord by Ron Hamilton:




Here is another great one ~ When Trials Come by Keith and Kristyn Getty



Here are the words for When Trials Come. This YouTube version didn't have the words.

When trials come no longer fear

For in the pain our God draws near

To fire a faith worth more than gold

And there His faithfulness is told

And there His faithfulness is told


Within the night I know Your peace

The breath of God brings strength to me

And new each morning mercy flows

As treasures of the darkness grow

As treasures of the darkness grow


I turn to Wisdom not my own

For every battle You have known

My confidence will rest in You

Your love endures Your ways are good

Your love endures Your ways are good


When I am weary with the cost

I see the triumph of the cross

So in it's shadow I shall run

Till He completes the work begun

Till He completes the work begun


One day all things will be made new

I'll see the hope You called me to

And in your kingdom paved with gold

I'll praise your faithfulness of old

I'll praise your faithfulness of old


No comments: