Friday, February 11, 2011

02/11/11

This past week I talked to my students about our freedoms. I shared with them how other countries view us as "spoiled" in America.

I have to agree. We are spoiled. We don't really know what it is like to go without what we really need. I do know there are many people in this nation who are on the streets. I realize there are those who are not overly wealthy, but for the most part, we are EXTREMELY blessed in this nation.

As I was teaching the children I knew in their minds they could not fully comprehend what other people do not have and what they DO have. I decided to do one of my "spur of the moment" homework assignments.

I told the kids they were to go home that night and write down everything they could see that their family had. I told them to write down that they had a closet and drawers full of clothes, a fridge, oven, microwave, dishwasher, beds, tables, chairs, dishes, toys, beds, etc..... so that they could really see how blessed they were. I also told them that the next time they wanted to complain about something they wanted and didn't get, they needed to remember this list that they made.

I had one parent email me about this assignment wanting to see what it was about. She said her daughter was walking around the house writing down everything and she had to make her go to bed because she kept writing. (I had to chuckle at that visualization.) I emailed her back what I just explained above. I got a response from her later that night and this is what it said:

Okay, thats about what I was thinking, and that talk must of got {my child} thinking, because she is bringing in about $18 of her change that she earned, for the class bucket :) She said it was for the kids that didn't have anything! Well thanks again and see you soon.

The day after I did this assignment, I asked the children to tell me what they had learned. Many of them told me they learned that they really had a lot of stuff and didn't need to complain but be thankful. One little guy said "We have too much stuff!" That did my teacher heart good to hear. Sometimes I wonder if what I teach really gets to the heart. Apparently it did for many of them. I pray they will always remember.

4 comments:

Mich said...

You sound like a fun teacher!

God certainly blessed you with the wisdom to teach his little ones. Great idea!

Sandy said...

What a great visual for kids.. and for all of us!
We truly are blessed beyond measure in this nation.

Anonymous said...

Awesome homework assignment!

Katrina said...

Wonderful lesson Kellie. We have been having that talk around our home for the past few weeks too. We are abundantly blessed!