Thursday, February 24, 2011

02/24/11

A bit of ice on a branch....

Proverbs 17:27-28

He who restrains his words has knowledge,And he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding. Even a fool, when he keeps silent, is considered wise; When he closes his lips, he is considered prudent.

Have you ever been around people who talk a lot?

I know, I know... those who know me in person know I can talk with the best of them if I get on a roll... especially if I have had caffeine! Spend a day with me in the classroom and you know that happens. However, at the end of the day I honestly don't talk much because that is all I have done all day.

But I digress.... I am actually meaning people who talk for talking sake.... and you haven't gained anything from the conversation.

There are those who never really think about what they are saying before it comes out.

I used to be one of those people. I used to say what I thought pretty quickly. I used to talk and talk and talk.... about nothing.

Over my years of maturing in the Lord He has taught me to be quiet... or as my Mom would say jokingly "QWIRET"...

I do not want to be known as the type of person that talks so much people get a headache just seeing me walk in the door.

I want to guard my mouth.

I want what I say to mean something and not just be a bunch of gibberish.

If you are around me now, you will probably find that I sit back and listen more than talk. I don't even do "small talk" very well in new situations because I am learning to be like an owl in the tree that is observing instead of the mockingbird that never hushes.

As I told my students today, it is so important to THINK before you SPEAK.

I like this quote from Abraham Lincoln:
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

If only we all could learn to do just that.


Psalm 141:3
Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
Keep watch over the door of my lips.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Oh, wise words..thank you for speaking this great truth! My brothers were beautiful at this...people would speak, they'd listen, nod their head a bit...and THEN respond. I open my mouth and in "horse-racing" terms..."THEY'RE OFF!" Words just fly. Then later, I'm thinking..."What did I just say? Did that come out right?" How precious, that if we let Him, HE will do the watching over our mouths! Praise God!

Mich said...

I have always loved that quote.

Big talker or not, we should always think before we speak. Words can never be taken back once said.

Great reminder.

Sandy said...

I think I've become less so over the years, but sometimes those words just jump out of my mouth before I get a chance to rein them in! I'm trying harder to be a better listener & not feel like I have to share every detail (which is so hard for someone who loves details...)
Lincoln sure had it right!!