Tuesday, June 08, 2010

06/08/10

Here is a little project I have worked on for Mikayla's "new" room. Wanna see how I did it? :)
I was originally going to have someone else make her one of these. I got this "idea" from my friend Gretchen when we visited her and her kids during spring break. She made a "name" sign for one of her girls that had words of what she loved surrounding the name.

Because I didn't photograph it, I didn't remember how it looked. When I checked into someone doing one for me it was going to be a bit more than my budget allowed so I decided to try something myself.

We went and bought a canvas, some paint, 3-D "pop-ups" and my mind went to creating.

Here is my canvas - nice and white. I am about to paint it that lovely lime color.


Almost done with the painting.

After it dried I used painters tape to make a border to make it look like it was "framed." This is when the perfectionist/linear side of me came out because I didn't want to use a ruler so I just "eyed" the taping. Love me some straight lines.

Then, I put tape all on the inside so I could spray paint the border without messing up what I had already done.

Spray painted.... nice and lovely. (If you didn't read yesterday's post, do so now. lol For those of you who did, this is what I held that caused my finger to turn black!)

After that dried, I began to peel away the painters tape. (Notice the lovely black finger and nail... that was after I had tried to scrape it off!)

VOILA! A lovely "frame" to my canvas.

Then, I used chip board letters for her name. They are black glittered. I used pink glitter letters to write out the words of what she told me she loved. After that, I decorated with butterflies and flowers which are more of her loves. Last but not least, I added the "bling" because girlfriend loves her some of that. :) Click on it to view it better!
The best part.... when Mikayla saw it she threw her arms around me and kept saying "Thank you!" I loved doing this for her. I can't wait to see it hanging in her "new" room.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Now you have me thinking about something fun to create wtih the kids while I am recovering! :)

wendy said...

look at you, being all crafty! i'm going to be working on a framed name thingy for a friend that's getting married at the end of the month. It'll say. . .

Smith
est. 2010

with some paper roses.I'm going to use my cricut and a cursive font cartridge. I've been playing it out in my mind for days, just haven't had time to do anything.

Anonymous said...

well then....looks like I've just found what to put in that area of Madison's room that needed a little sumpin-sumpin. Thanks friend...and by the way...GREAT job you crafty one!

Sandy said...

I love it! It's beautiful! Looks great! Good job!!!!
Best of all is her response.. don't you just love it when you reach that spot in your children that spurs that kind of gratitude?!

Anonymous said...

Kellie, you go girl. It is so pretty, I know Makayla loved it.What a craftyGal you are. I can't wait to see Her room.
Love!!

Kelly said...

I love it! You did a great job!! Isn't it nice when a plan actually works?! (and an extra bonus when the kids really like it too)

Morgan said...

Love it!!!!