Monday, June 07, 2010

06/07/10

This is some type of fern, I think. Found in the Aviary at the Zoo... very unusual indeed!!


So today began the "project week" around here. All of the things I thought I would be doing this summer I am not doing as well because I keep thinking about other things.

Craigslist has now become a wonderful place for me to peruse online. I especially like the "free" category.

I was checking it out on Saturday and happened up on frames for free. Well, we all know how much I love frames and my cheap frugal self definitely loves "free." I knew they would be great for our room makeovers we are doing this summer or for anything else. I emailed the owner and arranged for pick up. I figured if they were junk I had not lost anything! When we went to pick them up yesterday I was elated... many different sizes and colors. The colors I wasn't worried about because I was going to use the spray paint trick I have learned so well from my friend Gretchen. :) These frames are wonderful and will be used in our room and Mikayla's... and probably some in Wesley's.

Now, as I began the task of spray painting today I came to realize some things. ( This was my first official spray painting extravaganza so I am new to this, people. )

Here are my "notes to self....."

1. Even though the grass may look like a neat place to spray paint, it really isn't when it is windy.

2. Plastic trash bags are great to use.... when it isn't windy.

3. The well-ventilated garage is actually a much better place to put the trash bag and begin spraying.

4. Warn your 16 year old dog that you are about to spray paint, even though she is deaf, and try to move her out before you spray. That way she isn't struggling to get up and away from your noxious fumes while hacking up her lungs.

5. Wear a pair of old socks as you traipse around the trash bag spraying your treasure so your feet do not stick to the plastic and cause the just sprayed treasure to have plastic stuck to the sides.

6. Remember to NOT hold an object and use spray paint at close range. It isn't pretty... see picture below. Notice the thumb. Click on it if you want to view larger and have a good laugh.

7. Remember you have a camera around your neck/arm as you are trying to get the trash bag all set so that it doesn't fly around your body and cause bodily harm.

8. Remember to wash your hands as carefully as you can before handling the memory card from your camera so you do not get a tiny glob of spray paint where you used your thumb and forefinger to put it in the camera.

9. Spray paint is enamel. It doesn't come off of skin easily.



So, here are the lovely treasures after they had been sprayed and while drying.


This one makes me especially giddy because it will hold something beautiful for our room makeover.
More "projects" to come tomorrow....

1 comment:

Mich said...

What a great treasure find!

Isn't spray paint great?!

Happy Monday!