Saturday, May 29, 2010

05/29/10

Seventeen... a lovely number don't you think?

Seventeen years of being married to my best friend.

Seventeen isn't a magical anniversary number like "15" or "20" but I have learned much through them all. Here are some thoughts I have about then and now.

Seventeen years ago today I was a blushing bride.
Today I am usually blushing because I tripped or said something wrong.

Seventeen years ago I looked like a baby.
Today... well, you get the picture.

Seventeen years ago I wore a borrowed wedding dress.
Today I would not fit into that borrowed wedding dress.

Seventeen years ago my favorite color was purple and my bridesmaid dresses were purple.
Today I still love purple but you add some green to that and I'm one happy camper.

Seventeen years ago we walked down to the aisle to Canon in D by Pachelbel.
Today Steve has a CD of that song where the music is played over and over. We stop and remember every time we hear it.

Seventeen years ago I had my Dad "give me away."
Today I realize he never gave me away because I live next door. He just gained another son.

Seventeen years ago I thought the pastor would never finish our 17 minute wedding ceremony.
Today I cannot believe how quickly these 17 years have flown.

Seventeen years ago I was homesick.... yes, there is a story.
Today I get homesick for him.

Seventeen years ago we didn't get to eat any of our food at the reception because someone took our basket.
Today I still remember that. I'm not bitter. Really.

Seventeen years ago I thought I had my life planned "perfectly."
Today I know that life can never be planned "perfectly" but you learn and grow through it.

Seventeen years ago I thought I knew what love was.
Today I know I was wrong.... I am still learning what love is each and every day with my precious Steve.

We have lived, learned, loved and laughed for 17 years of marriage. I pray that the Lord will give us many more years to grow in the love with which we have been blessed.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

K., this is SO neat! I loved reading this & "seeing" you in each of these. Happy Anniversary!
BTW, the lilies will still be blooming for a couple of weeks at least because they bloom in phases, so come up any time & take all the pictures you want!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! May you have another 17+ years together!

Katrina said...

Hope you had a WONDERFUL Anniversary day. What sweet memories and lessons. God bless you and your family Kellie :)

Vonda said...

Happy Anniversary! Isn't it a blessing to know that even though we think we have life "perfectly" planned, God has a better plan for us! He's good like that!