Monday, May 24, 2010

05/24/10

This was in one of my devotions yesterday and it so fit the way our day went! Read it as if Jesus is talking to you.

Approach each new day with desire to find Me. Before you get out of bed, I have already been working to prepare the path that will get you through this day. There are hidden treasures strategically placed along the way. Some of the treasures are trials, designed to shake you free from earth-shackles. Others are blessings that reveal My Presence: sunshine, flowers, birds, friendships, answered prayer. I have not abandoned this sin-wracked world; I am richly present in it.
Search for deep treasures as you go through this day. You will find Me all along the way.

Yesterday was definitely a day of treasures to be found. The storms came through in the morning and afternoon. His presence was greatly known. In between, another treasure was found: our mockingbird eggs had hatched.

The kids were so excited. At first, only two had hatched. I wanted to photograph them but we had to eat lunch. Another storm came up in the middle afternoon. When we looked out the window at the bush where the mockingbird nest was located we saw that bush being battered by the storm. Not only pelting rain but harsh wind. We were all concerned for those little babies that had just been hatched.

I remembered this verse:
Matthew 10:29 - Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
I told the kids that God was in control of the storm and in control of looking after those little birds. During a break in the storm, Steve ran out to check on them. He found the mother bird covering them and hanging on with all she had.

I will be the first to admit that it brought a tear to my eye to think of the protection of that mother. It reminded me of how God is covering us with His wings in the middle of storms in our lives.

Psalm 57:1 - Be merciful unto me, O God, be merciful unto me: for my soul trusteth in thee: yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge, until these calamities be overpast.

After the storm passed I was finally able to get outside and photograph the cute little things. The one egg was still intact, but I was able to capture these pics. They were hungry little things!


This one makes me smile. The birds were "passed out" but surrounding the other egg.
Wesley had found a worm and fed one of them. You can see the dirt mark in its mouth.
Later in the afternoon the other egg hatched! We were so excited to see this little guy! He kind of looks like he has a mohawk. :)
Now they were all wanting some food.
I was actually surprised the mother was not around and getting me. Mikayla was my lookout while I was photographing.
Sleep well, little ones... We decided to name them "Huey, Dewey, and Luey."
When the kids checked on them this morning.... they were gone. Knowing how the Lord protected them yesterday during that storm, I feel certain that they are safe. I just think the mother moved them to a different location because we were just getting too close for comfort. I am saddened that we will not get to watch them grow, but I know that God is watching over them just as He watches over us.

What a treasure we were given.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh!, I just think they are precious. Yep Mama moved them, But at least Wesley and Makayla got to see them hatch. Love!!

Livin' Life said...

Amazing!! Great capture! A truly beautiful moment. Thanks for sharing!