Friday, May 07, 2010

05/07/10

Do you know what these are?


They are the latest craze in Childville.... that has led to Middleschoolville, Highschoolville, Collegeville and even Adultville.

They are shaped bracelets that are the RAGE called Silly Bands (and other names like Believer Bands, Crazy Bands, etc....) They can come in all kinds of shapes and forms. The kids get quite excited over them.

I had to ban them from my classroom. They were QUITE distracting as children kept laying them out across their desks checking out what shape they had or didn't have. I was beginning to think I needed to turn into a Silly Band in order to teach. :)

Some people have gone to the extreme. There have been parents rushing out to buy these things at all costs for their kids.

I would not fit into that category. I have not purchased any of these...nor do I plan on doing so.

Mikayla has a few but only because she has gotten them from friends. The kids love to trade them.

It is definitely a fad.. and it isn't a bad one, but... it's still a fad.

In time it will fade and become an "icon" or a "remember when" just like ones from my growing up days: Twist-A-Beads, add-a-bead necklaces, Duck shoes, purses with wood handles where you could change the cover, etc....

I'll let Mikayla enjoy the fun in small amounts. She'll look back on these like I do on my fads from the past.

However, I can't say that I want them for myself. :)

What is a fad you remember from "way back when?"

6 comments:

Vonda said...

My Bunco group has a theme every month. This month it is 80's and I am so stoked about it. The thing is, this is my era. I lived it. The girls I play with are in their early to mid 30's. They don't know how I can rock the 80's hair! The fad that I am going to introduce to my young friends is the friendship pin. Do you remember those?

wendy said...

Oh, yes. . . the twisty beads. I had a few strands. But my thing was making friendship bracelets out of embroidery floss. Some with knots. Some were woven. A girl's gotta love her DMC in every color imagineable.

Mich said...

I haven't seen these much, but then my daughter is older.

What didn't I collect or wear in the eighties? I remember loving colored socks, rolling up my pants and wearing two or three pairs at a time.

Anonymous said...

Well, back in the days all girls had to have the white blouse ,full black skirt, white socks and oxford shoes. All boys had slick back hair ,white shirt with rolled up sleeves and of course that turned up collar. That was the 50's
'those were the Days'.Oh! I almost forgot penny loafers. Love!!

Mich said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Sandy said...

Yes, I DO know what Silly Bands are! And I heard that a lot of the schools are banning them from the classrooms just because they are so distracting that kids aren't paying attention.
I think I can top all of the fads: I went through a fad of WEARING a chameleon on a leash on my blouse (on the shoulder)! It WAS alive! I can't remember that they lasted very long... literally.