Wednesday, March 31, 2010

03/31/10

I love this keyhole. I believe it was the gate to one of the church graveyards. Do you know the difference between a graveyard and a cemetery??

A graveyard is connected to a church.

A cemetery is away from a church.

Learned something today, didn't ya?

In thinking of this week and what it means, I have been pondering Peter once again. I taught his moment of denial to my students for the past couple of days.

Peter was so vehement when he declared that he would never go away from Jesus. Even to the death he said he would stay with Him. Jesus told him otherwise.... told him that he would deny Jesus three times before the rooster crowed. Peter didn't believe him.

Fast forward a few hours and Jesus is in the Garden of Gethsemane. Peter and the other disciples fled from Jesus when He was taken by the guards. After they all flee, Peter follows at a distance.

Can't you see him? Darting behind trees or bushes trying to see where they are taking Jesus yet hoping no one will notice?

Peter then comes to the palace where Jesus is being tried.

He is asked by a woman if he was one of Jesus' followers. Peter denies it.

He goes to another area... on the porch where another lady asks him if he is a follower of that "Jesus of Nazareth".... and he denies it again.

Finally, he is standing around a group of people and one of them say to him that his speech betrays him.... he sounds like those from Galilee that followed Jesus. Peter denies again, but this time with even more boldness.

The rooster crows.

Peter realizes what he has done.

In one part of the Gospels it records that Jesus turned and looked at Peter at that moment.

Can you imagine what Peter felt when Jesus looked at him? I can imagine that Jesus looked at him with sadness, yet with the same love that Peter had learned from Him.

Peter then goes out and weeps bitterly.

Peter is not recorded in any of the Gospels to be present at the Crucifixion. Until recently that fact had never dawned on me. I think I know why:

He was ashamed.

He was afraid.

He couldn't believe he had done what he said he would NEVER do.



Are you like Peter?

I know I am.

I can so relate to Peter on many occasions. Peter so wanted to be the "perfect" disciple and be the" perfect" guy to stand by Jesus, but he messed up. He didn't listen. He thought he knew more than the Lord.

I have done those very things. If we are all honest, we all would admit to that.

I am thankful the story doesn't end there, just like my life doesn't end when I make mistakes like that.

Jesus still loved Peter and used that time for good. Peter became a bold witness for the Lord and was able to lead many people to Christ... the same Christ that Peter had denied just a few short weeks beforehand.

There is no mistake, no sin too bad for Jesus to forgive.

Jesus takes those mistakes we make and shows us that He has wiped them clean with His shed blood on the cross.

That is what Easter is about.

No comments: