Tuesday, February 23, 2010

02/23/10

More pictures of ice from snow before last. :)

Since I have taken you down memory lane of how I met Steve, I need to share this story my wonderful brother wrote in his blog yesterday about my years prior to finding Steve. I had to laugh as I read it because he is absolutely right. There are just stories upon stories in our family it seems. I'll get back to when Steve proposed later.... :)

Grunts and Acceptance

Today was memory lane for my sister and how she and her husband first met. I must admit that I had something else planned for today's entry. But after reading her blog today, I felt that I must also tell my side of the story which actually starts way before that momentous day. Kellie was always a dreamy kind of child. In her mind, she was always somewhere else instead of where she was physically. When her teen years rolled around, all I can say is wooooowwweeeeee!!! Most boys didn't want to date her because, in my opinion, they had to ask Dad first. That was fine with me. I was going to have to be the choosy person when it came to my sister's date. Not that she wasn't choosy, but you know how older brothers are... Fast forward a few years...Thanksgiving in Holly Springs...a highly forgettable time in our family's history. We were invited by my aunt to go to my uncle's side of their family for Thanksgiving. They always play music, sing, etc and we thought it would be a fun change. Well, when we got there, Kellie and I knew no one but my aunt's family and we pretty much stuck together like we had been glued that way in a kindergarten art class. As we were enjoying the meal, my sister and I turned towards the door as someone enters. All three sets of eyes met in one fateful moment. My sister's eyes were popping out of her head. My eyes observed with casual coolness. The person entering the door would have walked into a pole if there was one there. He couldn't take his eyes off my sister. As has happened several times during our life, when he saw me, he thought Kellie and I were dating because we look nothing alike. Too bad that idea didn't manifest itself in his head forever...but I get ahead of myself. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details for the next few days, but eventually, he asked my Dad to take my sister on a date. My Dad consented and off they went. For my sister, it was looooooove. Christmas gifts were exchanged; time alone was spent; dates were frequent. For me, the honeymoon quickly faded into a pile of rotten roses that lifted its stench to the heavens. When he came over, I grunted hello. When he asked a question, I grunted the answer. When he left, I grunted goodbye. And all responses came with a granite face. The rest of the time, I was as scarce as hen's teeth. I will let Kellie share the rest of the details if she so chooses, but suffice it to say, the relationship ended none too soon! I still have the feelings of floating on cloud 9 when I remember that glorious day. The next boyfriend was waaayyyyyy better. No grunts at all, but it really wasn't meant to be and after a short time, they parted as friends. After that, the fateful day mentioned in her entry for today arrived and I was happy. He seemed like a nice guy and he was, again, waaayyyyyy better than the first one. As I got to know him and he came around more and more and more and more (did I say more???), I found myself actually staying around when he was here with nary a grunt escaping my lips and smiles were plenteous. After a little over two years of dating, they were married in a packed church where I felt as if I was a shuttle service moving people up and down the aisle (But that discussion could be another blog entry!). So there you have it. My part in my sister's dating is, in my opinion, one for the record books. Maybe I should write a book on how to help one's sister realize she's dating a jerk. Hmmmm...Best seller???


Thanks, Kevin.... LOL :)

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I think I know that boy... did he happen to have red hair???
Hehehe!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing, You had to go through those tough times with the BOYS so you would know when you found your MAN.
By the way, how dare your brother call me forgetful. I WILL speak to him about this later.
ILU