Tuesday, February 09, 2010

02/09/10

If you click on this picture you can view the detail much better.


Some days we feel that the world is crashing all around us. I, personally, feel like Peter when he walked on the water going towards Jesus a lot of days. He was walking ON the water just like Jesus when he kept his eyes on Him, but as soon as he started looking at the stormy waves around him, he began to sink. Jesus was there immediately to save Peter.... to hold on to him and bring him up out of the water.... to give Peter HOPE that he was OK if he would just keep his eyes on the Savior.

I read this in my devotional the other night and it has been something I have thought on since. It is a letter from Amy Carmichael, missionary to India from 1895-1951, who rescued children who were "married" to the Hindu gods. This letter is to one of the girls she rescued. I love the last part, especially.

You have given me starry joy. When I gave you your name (Star) I prayed that you might grow up to be a star in this dark world, and now you are learning some of the wonder of the stars. Do you know that Venus is always covered with cloud and mist, and that it is the light shining on the mist which makes it look so beautiful? Isn't this a figure of the true?

Sometimes what feels like a cloud and mist is allowed to come and seems to cover us. But it doesn't matter. If only the sun of the love of the Lord shines up on us, the very mist and cloud will be turned to beauty.

Isn't it wonderful to think that all the Bible people and our Lord Himself looked at those very same stars and constellations? The first time I realized that, I gazed and gazed at the shining worlds.

And another wonderful thing is that the stars are shining all day long, passing over our heads by day as by night - only we can't see them till it is dark. There is a lovely meaning in that, but I leave you to find it out for yourself.

Do you see it? Do you see that if every day was sunny and going our way that we would miss out on those stars??? Stars shine through in the darkness. Those stars are a picture of Christ being our hope. Even in our darkest hours He is there shining through.

No comments: