Thursday, February 11, 2010

02/11/10

You have to click on this picture to view the ice on it more closely. It was quite interesting!

Psalm 8:3-4
When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and stars, which thou hast ordained;
what is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psalm 103:11
For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him.


These verses were read in our teacher's devotions this morning. I love how the Lord brings things in front of us continually to remind us of His great love, but also of His great power. If you read this post last week, you saw where I had talked about how big God is, yet how much He loved us.

Today we watched a video similar to the one I linked to in that post. This video took the same thought process, but a little differently. I loved how the gentleman pointed out just how BIG the universe is, yet God is mindful of ME.

Little. Old. Me.

He loved me so much that He sent His Son to come down, take on our human form and die for us on the cross.

These next two pictures were shared in the DVD we saw today. They were taken by the Hubble Telescope. I can't give you everything verbatim but I hope to get you thinking! I don't claim to be a scientist but I found the information I learned very fascinating.

This is a picture of two galaxies that are millions of light years away from us. My mind cannot even comprehend light years. The one on the left is called the Whirlpool Galaxy (M51) and its Companion Galaxy. It is filled with millions upon millions of stars.... stars that are still forming. At one time scientists thought the larger galaxy would "swallow up" the smaller one, but they are very far away from each other and that will never happen.


God is so big.

We think we are big, but we are but grasshoppers.

Isaiah 40:22, 26
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Lift up your eyes on high, and behold who hath created these things, that bringeth ou their host by number: he calleth them all by names by the greatness of his might, for that he is trong in power; not one faileth.

This is a picture of the "X Structure" at the core of the Whirlpool Galaxy. I realize scientists call it an "X" but what do you see?

I see a cross.

I see a galaxy that may be "far away" to us, but God is so big He can make an image to show the likeness of His Son to remind us that no matter how far out we go in this universe, it is still HIS and He made it.

Isaiah 40:28
Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

I am in awe.

Not only is He a big God, but He is also the God of the smallest details in our life and in His Creation like ones seen here in this picture. That is why I love macro photography. (click to view detail larger)

"Before you decided what to do with God, God decided what to do with you." - Louis Giglio

Isaiah 6:3b
Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

To view more images from space, click on the HubbleSite Picture Album

No comments: